Government Affairs Associate
About the job
Government Affairs Associate
This posting is for a Government Affairs Associate position with a small, non-partisan government and public affairs practice.
Shaw Bransford & Roth P.C., a boutique litigation and government affairs law firm founded in Washington, D.C. in 1982, seeks an experienced and proactive strategic government affairs professional with outstanding, writing, interpersonal communication, and business skills to join the growing government and public affairs practice. The successful candidate for this position will thrive in a fast-paced environment and be capable of independently managing many competing priorities at once.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Represent clients on Capitol Hill, within the Executive Branch, federal agencies and coalitions
- Develop and maintain professional relationships and work effectively with corporate, government, community, and non-governmental organization partners
· Service clients by proactively offering knowledgeable observations, insights and strategic thinking regarding communications and public affairs activities
· Assist in the development and implementation of policy initiatives
- Produce high-quality, client-ready written deliverables, such as policy papers, press materials, messaging toolkits, social media strategies, and advocacy communications, often under tight deadlines
· Develop one-pagers, talking points, issue briefs, and presentations for internal and external audiences
· Draft and edit content for client website, newsletters, social media and make suggestions for resources and related information
· Draft law firm’s two weekly e-newsletters, FEDmanager and FEDagent, which have a combined audience of nearly 120,000 subscribers
· Attend and report on briefings, hearings, coalition meetings and other activities
· Track, report, and analyze legislative and regulatory proposals and actions
Skills and Abilities:
· Track record of running successful government or public affairs campaigns
· Exceptional presentation, writing, and analytical skills including the ability to write strategically and creatively under tight deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and develop complex plans and programs to advance broader agendas
- Self-motivated and ambitious, detail oriented
- Ability to work well alone and in a team environment
- Maintain highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity, with strongest professional reputation in the industry.
- Self-starter with proven track record of successfully working with a wide array of functional groups across organization and culture.
- Ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others is required. Must be flexible and demonstrate strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political acumen.
- Demonstrated ability to build and foster effective relationships and networks with others.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically as part of a team and within broad coalitions.
- Experience presenting to and communicating with elected officials and their staff.
- Outstanding written and oral communication, and organizational skills.
· Interest in continuous learning in unfamiliar subject areas.
· Innovative in developing business solutions or other ways to better the department and public policy projects.
Education and Experience:
· Bachelor’s Degree
· 3-5 years of experience in government and/or public relations
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits. To apply, please send resume to Janet Murphy, email@example.com, and include Policy Associate in subject line.
Shaw Bransford & Roth is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of SBR’s background screening process.
Job posted: 2021-05-22