Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government Affairs Coordinator
The Government Affairs function within Magna International provides economic and workforce development, public affairs, and lobbying services to Magna’s groups and divisions. It serves as a central resource for global public policy makers, government officials, industry organizations, and community leaders. The public policy team within Government Affairs leads and manages policy development and advocacy on behalf of the corporation with key public stakeholders at the local, state, federal and international government levels.
The Government Affairs Coordinator will work closely with Government Affairs management to implement and develop processes and be responsible for executing and supporting Magna public policy and compliance initiatives at the international, federal, state, and local level.
Individuals with an awareness of government, political structures, and the automotive industry are encouraged to apply.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor, research, analyze, and summarize legislative and regulatory developments in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Draft and edit written communication materials, including fact sheets, infographics, reports, FAQs, presentations, talking points, and other support documents.
- Provide support for Magna outreach and advocacy efforts, including scheduling and attending meetings with government officials and preparing briefing documents, and work with Executive Director of Government Affairs and Senior Manager of Government Affairs to advance Magna interests.
- Draft correspondence to government officials in support of Magna advocacy efforts.
- Work in coordination with Magna Groups and Divisions and Government Affairs management to develop issue positions, coordinate with external stakeholders, and provide updates to Magna leadership.
- Maintain database of internal Subject Matter Experts who will receive updates and assist in the development of Magna positions on a variety of issues.
- Attend hearings, briefings, seminars, trade association meetings, and other events as related to assigned areas of responsibility.
- Participate on trade associations committees and working groups in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Ensure deadlines are met and work with the Government Affairs team and Magna Groups and Divisions to ensure consistency across projects.
- Create, write, edit, and publish content for use on the company intranet site, social media platforms, and internal newsletters.
- Work with the Government Affairs team on any other assignments and/or reports, as requested.
- Perform other duties, as required.
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ related experience.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Political Science, Public Policy, or related field.
- Previous experience in a professional, fast pace corporate environment preferred.
- Experience in corporate grassroots programs is a plus.
Special Knowledge / Skills:
- Proficient computer knowledge and skills, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and virtual communication platforms (Microsoft Teams, WebEx, Zoom).
- Good judgment and professional communication skills (written and verbal).
- Strong technical and analytical competence in select areas of policy, including tax, trade, and human resources.
- Effective organizational and project management skills; able to manage multiple work streams and processes.
- Proven ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously and be comfortable in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Able to work independently, take initiative, and not be afraid to ask questions and seek answers when follow-up is required.
- Excellent attention to detail and diligent at following up.
- Proactive attitude, intellectually curious, and self-motivated.
- Flexibility in handling multiple requests and changing priorities.
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
- Normal amount of sitting or standing, average mobility to move around an office environment, able to conduct normal amount of work at a computer.
- Travel may be required, up to 40% of the time.
- The successful candidate will be required to prove as a condition of employment that he/she are fully vaccinated by the start date of employment or has a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated.
Apply at Magna.com
Job posted: 2022-01-08