Government Affairs & Counsel Manager
Ocean Spray is committed to fostering an inclusive culture, where all individuals thrive as their authentic selves. Our different backgrounds, experiences and ways of thinking inspire us to be exceptional. Be collaborative. Be innovators. We believe that our team members are our best asset and we offer an environment where you can work with passionate and collaborative teams that are motivated to deliver Ocean Spray products around the world.
We are looking for an experienced professional to assist in developing and executing against Ocean Spray’s strategic government affairs plan to advance and support company objectives. While the preferred successful candidate would also be/have experience as a practicing attorney, we are also interested in and willing to consider talented government relations professionals without a JD.
The position is located at our Corporate office in Lakeville, MA.
A Day in the Life of Manager, Government Affairs & Counsel:
- Assist in developing and executing strategic government affairs plan
- Effectively work with cross-functional teams to gain in-depth understanding of company’s business and identify opportunities to further short- and long-term goals
- Develop in-depth understanding of the relevant legislative and regulatory processes, as well as the roles and decision-making processes of key governmental and regulatory entities
- Assist cross-functional teams in identifying potential governmental/policy roadblocks to attainment of business objectives
- Identify issues of interest to the company or our grower-members, prioritize those issues, and develop strategies to address them consistent with business objectives
- Effectively work with key players and with staff in the relevant government departments and agencies domestically and internationally
- Analyze and monitor legislation, regulations, and political activity relating to issues that may impact the company or our Members
- Work with various organizations, including trade associations, political action committees, industry organizations, and public interest groups
- Help manage contract lobbyists and outside resources
- Help manage and prioritize Ocean Spray’s Political Action Committee activities
- Ideally, serve as legal counsel supporting and advising Grower Relations and Corporate Affairs & Communications teams
What We Are Looking For:
- Master’s Degree
- 5-7 years’ experience
- Juris Doctorate preferred
- Admitted to one state bar, preferably MA
- Experience in public affairs and government relations
- Knowledge of legal principles and practices, with experience working in-house for a CPG company
- Experience reviewing, analyzing and synthesizing policy, legislation and regulations
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Effective written and version communication skills
- Prior law firm and in-house experience
- Prior experience managing political action committee activities
- Effective at building internal and external relationships
- Ability and business acumen to partner with business team to help identify issues, propose solutions and drive value
- Experience working directly with key players & staff in domestic & international government departments and agencies
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Job posted: 2021-02-18