Government Affairs Director
As a national leader in the construction industry, Suffolk is redefining what it means to build. We challenge the status quo every day by gathering the people, innovations, and partnerships that can explore and go after new ways to do our jobs. Our focus on high-performing teams and technology translates to groundbreaking solutions for all industry sectors and phases of building. We provide value throughout the entire project lifecycle by leveraging our core construction management services alongside vertical service lines, an approach that is revolutionizing the industry and making a permanent mark on the world of business. Join us for a thrilling experience that will energize you, challenge you, and propel your career.
Suffolk is a national enterprise that invests, innovates, and builds. We provide value throughout the entire project lifecycle by leveraging our core construction management services with vertical service lines that include real estate capital investment, design, self-perform construction services, technology start-up investment and innovation research and development. We have $4.5 billion in annual revenue, 2,400 employees, and main offices in Boston (headquarters), New York, Miami, West Palm Beach, Tampa, Estero, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego. We serve clients in every major industry sector, including health care, science and technology, education, gaming, transportation and aviation, and commercial. Suffolk is privately held and is led by founder, chairman and CEO John Fish. We’re ranked #23 on the Engineering News Record list of “Top 400 Contractors.” And we’re proud to be a certified 2020 “Great Place to Work.” For more information, visit www.suffolk.com and follow Suffolk on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Instagram.
Suffolk is seeking people who are bold. Curious. Innovative. Caring. Looking for the career opportunity of a lifetime. We’ll challenge and inspire you to be your very best. We’ll embrace what makes you unique and lift you up as you take chances. Here, you’ll find a place where you can act with purpose and integrity, bringing intelligence and grit to every aspect of your job. Join us for the chance to leverage your inherent curiosity and proven capabilities to catapult you to the next level. The primary responsibility of the Government Affairs Director is to be the day-to-day representative of the Company in Washington, DC. This role will include building relationships with Federal Agencies and the Administration, Members of Congress and their staff, and industry and trade association stakeholders.
- Working with trade association stakeholders to provide detailed policy updates and engagement strategies for senior leaders within the company.
- Engaging in committee meetings, panel discussions, and related industry led discussions in DC around federal policy issues.
- Building relationships with DC representatives from other companies in adjacent industries and using those relationships to form coalitions to advance policy priorities.
- Develop working relationships with the Administration and Congressional leadership with a particular focus on agencies engaged in public procurement of construction services (ie GSA, Army Corps, etc…).
- Drafting white-papers, op-eds, talking points, and related communication elements to support senior leadership in establishing themselves as thought leaders on major policy issues.
- Supporting the transition of political relationships established in DC into meaningful relationships with members and their staff in their home districts as well – including project tours, press events, and related activities.
- Building awareness amongst policy makers and procurement agencies about the company’s unique value proposition and brand.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Finance, or Communications or relevant discipline with seven years’ experience in the field or a related area.
- Strong existing relationships with key decision makers and influencers on Capitol Hill and with federal agencies.
- Working understanding of the legislative process, including a firm understanding of federal appropriations and procurement.
- Background understanding in tax, finance, and banking policy with an eye toward issues that have a particular impact on Real Estate and Development
- Candidate must possess Suffolk’s Core Values: Passion, Integrity, Hard Work, Professionalism, and Caring.
- Candidate must be resilient and adaptable to evolution in the industry and markets.
- Strong communication and organizational skills are necessary, along with an ability to be self-directed.
- Candidate must be detail-oriented, focused, and thoughtful in driving action.
- Demonstrated experience communicating broad strategic initiatives to both key stakeholders and diverse internal teams.
- Passion to rapidly build expertise in new region and/or industry verticals.
- Understanding and knowledge related to dynamics and trends that affect our clients.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time; talk or hear; perform fine motor, hand and finger skills in the use of a keyboard, telephone, or writing. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; and reach with arms and/or hands. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will spend their time in an office environment with a quiet to moderate noise level.
Suffolk Construction is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-17