Government Affairs Director
This position will facilitate active engagement with elected and appointed leaders in the executive and legislative arenas at the local, state, and federal levels to help clients solve challenges and seize opportunities.
- Works with clients in facilitating their interests with legislation, legislators, other elected officials and agency personnel.
- Researches and monitors government activities that could affect the organizations business and clients.
- Assists leadership with strategic planning for known and potential regulatory activities related to the business and industry.
- Builds and maintains professional relationships with members of federal, state, and local government entities and agencies.
- Collaborates with industry advocates to build areas of common interest.
- Testifies before government committees in support of the organization and/or industry.
- Introduces legislative and public policy changes that will support company operations.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Political Science, Public Relations, or related field required
- 20+ years of senior level state and federal government legislative and executive branch experience
- Ability to advise clients on federal legislative and executive branch matters that potentially could affect their operations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Strong government contacts at local, state, and federal levels.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strategic Thinking – Plans and makes decisions within the framework of the firm’s strategic intent.
- Mission Focus – Understands and supports the firm’s mission. The mission of the firm is: We strive to lead our profession by giving the highest level of service and loyalty to our clients and by forging a team – lawyers, paralegals, staff and other professionals – whose work is infused with our values. We value integrity, excellence, innovation, teamwork, our commitment to one another, our diverse work force, our communities, and living full lives.
- Team Management – Creates and maintains functional work units.
- Communication – Recognizes the essential value of continuous information exchange.
- Results Orientation – Maintains appropriate focus on outcomes and accomplishments.
- Change Agility – Adaptable, embraces the needed change and modifies behavior to achieve firm objectives.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee must have the ability to sit, stand and/or walk for extended periods of time; manipulate (lift, carry, move) weights of at least twenty-five (25) pounds; have repetitive wrist/hand/finger movement to work on a computer and/or related office equipment; speak clearly and concisely so listeners can understand; and regularly understand the speech of another person.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by this position to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Professional office atmosphere. Sedentary work that primarily involves sitting or standing for prolonged periods. Position may require frequent off-hour meetings and events. Up to 20% travel may be required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those this position may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Note: This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. However, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position
Salary Range -$136,000 – $227,000. A discretionary bonus may be available based upon performance.
Holland & Hart works hard to promote work/life balance, a robust wellness program, and generous PTO and holiday pay for eligible employees. Full-time employees become eligible for benefits on the date hire, with a benefits offering that includes medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, EAP, STD, and LTD. Also available are voluntary income protection benefits such as supplemental life, accident, critical illness, and long-term care insurances, as well as a 401(k)-retirement plan with a company match. In addition, the firm has programs that may provide for educational assistance, free or discounted legal services, and opportunities through the Holland & Hart Foundation, which is a non-profit organization dedicated to creating volunteer opportunities for lawyers, staff, families, and friends of Holland & Hart LLP. Part-time employees may have access to some of these benefits, which may be on a pro-rated basis.
Job posted: 2021-03-11