Government Affairs Director
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Government Affairs and Alliance Development, and working in collaboration with the Senior Director of Coverage and Reimbursement, the Director ofGovernment Affairs will play an integral role in developing and implementing coordinated federal advocacy strategies with federal policy makers and officials on issues that impact GRAIL.
- Be responsible for maintaining, cultivating, and engaging relationships that include U.S. Government officials, Members of Congress, and relevant Committee staff to create value-add opportunities that raise the company’s visibility in Washington, DC and promote GRAIL’s interests in the public policy arena.
- Monitor legislation and identify and flag substantive policy and political opportunities and risks to the company’s business.
- Interact with legislative consultants as appropriate to ensure pull through of federal government affairs strategies.
- Engage industry trade associations to promote alignment on company positions.
- Possess a deep understanding of the company’s product, technology, methodology and patient population and can communicate and translate them enthusiastically and appropriately to a variety of audiences.
Your Background Should Include:
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 10 years of experience in the federal legislative arena.
- Substantive experience with the federal legislative process for healthcare policy and interplay with executive branch policymaking; strong understanding of the political context in which the diagnostics industry operates; working understanding of health insurance, including federal health care coverage programs.
- Strong network of relationships in Congress, and with key industry trade associations that shape the federal political and policy environment.
- Proven ability to forecast short and long-term implications of policy changes and political trends.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Office and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications, and advice from internal and external experts, GRAIL has made the decision to require all U.S. employees receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
Job posted: 2021-11-07