Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government Affairs Director
What You’ll Do
Cisco is looking for a government affairs professional to join a global team for a position based in our Washington, DC office as a Director of Congressional Affairs. This individual will primarily help lead Cisco’s engagement with the US Congress, as well as the Administration and other federal agencies. Your duties will include:
- Building strong political relationships with key Members of the Senate, House, and their staffs
- Advocating public policy positions consistent with Cisco’s mission to power an inclusive future for all
- Providing direct support and counsel to Cisco executives in meetings with key government officials
- Collaborating with other companies and industries to advance key public policy goals
- Managing Cisco’s activities at trade associations and industry coalitions related to public policy issues
- Supporting Cisco’s political activities, including Cisco’s employee-sponsored political action committee
Who You’ll Work With
Cisco’s Government Affairs team represents the company with governments around the world to build relationships with key leaders, advance Cisco’s public policy goals, and educate governments about our industry. Government Affairs is involved in all key legislative, regulatory, and global issues that impact the technology industry.
We are comprised of government and public policy experts in more than a dozen countries who represent Cisco at the highest levels of government. The team has extensive experience in and out of government and are leaders in the industry.
Who You Are
You have U.S. Congressional and political experience combined with the following:
- Demonstrated interest and experience handling Congressional relations and advocacy
- Experience staffing and briefing senior government officials and/or executives
- Familiarity with public policy issues impacting the technology industry
- Strong political judgment and experience in managing complex political situations
- Ability to handle multiple issues and responsibilities fully and effectively
- Ability to think on your feet and work under tight deadlines
You are a self-starter with strong relationship building skills, a sense of humor, and a team player mentality. Experience working in the private sector or a trade association is a plus.
- At least 7+ years’ high-level experience in federal government and/or with members of the US Congress
- Strong leadership and influencing skills across teams
- Keen political savvy
- Excellent organization and project management skills
- Outstanding verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to operate with a high degree of autonomy
- Advanced degree is a plus
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference. Here’s how we do it.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (30 years strong!) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. A blockchain company. An AI/Machine Learning company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, we give our egos a break and we give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, we take bold steps, and we take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a commitment to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool.
The health and safety of Cisco’s employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.
Job posted: 2022-11-09