Small Business Majority
Small Business Majority is a small business advocacy organization founded and run by small business owners to focus on solving the biggest problems facing small businesses today. Since 2005, we have actively engaged small business owners and policymakers in support of public policy solutions, and have delivered information and resources to entrepreneurs that promote small business growth and drive a strong, sustainable economy. We regularly engage our network of more than 45,000 small business owners and thousands of business organizations, along with a formal strategic partnership program of more than 125 business organizations, enabling us to reach more than 500,000 entrepreneurs. Our extensive scientific polling, focus groups and economic research help us educate and inform policymakers, the media and other stakeholders about issues including taxes, healthcare, access to capital, clean energy, immigration, entrepreneurship and workforce development.
The Government Affairs Fellow will work closely with the Director Policy & Government Affairs conducting policy research and drafting policy and research papers. The Government Affairs Fellow will also work with the CEO to schedule and confirm meetings, speaker engagements and other events both locally and nationally. This position also works in collaboration with the Communications Department with writing needs as requested. This position is part-time working 20 hours per week.
This position reports to the Director, Policy & Government Affairs and is located in our Washington, DC office.
Policy & Government Affairs:
· Policy research
· Draft research and issues papers; other writing as needed
· Accompany the Director to Capitol Hill and Federal Agency meetings
· Adding contact information into our Salesforce database
· Schedule meetings, confirm meeting attendance, schedule/confirm speaking engagements
· Data entry: input contacts and other items into Salesforce
· Promote our local and national events on community calendars and social media
· Data entry: input new small business contacts into Salesforce database
· Assist in writing profiles to fill in our small business profile map
· Draft blog posts and letters to the editor
· Assist with building and updating media lists
· Other communications work as assigned and available
The candidate must have:
· Candidate must be at least a junior in college with an interest in small business policy and advocacy, specifically in healthcare, taxes and/or access to capital
· Strong writing, research, and analytical skills
· Administrative skills: attention to detail and strong organizational skills
· Ability to prioritize/handle multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines
· Positive attitude and the ability to handle stress and high-pressure situations
· Strong computer skills with proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint
· Strongly preferred: Working knowledge of database software and web-based platforms such as Google docs.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Learn more here
Job Posted: September 1, 2017