Government Affairs Lead
Rural Investment to Protect our Environment (RIPE) is seeking a Government Affairs Lead with
expertise in agricultural legislation to contribute to RIPE’s engagement and interactions with federal
legislators and participate in policy design for a proposal that invests in farmers and the environment.
This role will manage the communications of and strategy behind a federal-level policy proposal
through their own analysis and support from technical consultants, and by integrating feedback from
stakeholders, members of Congress, and a farmer-led steering committee. The ideal candidate is a selfmotivated political strategist with expertise in Congressional processes in the agricultural committees.
The application process is open to seasoned as well as junior applicants, and salary will be negotiated
based on experience. If you are excited to use your experience on the Hill to achieve ambitious U.S.
climate and sustainable agriculture policy that invests in profitable farming opportunities, this is the
opportunity for you.
RIPE’s mission is to inspire a bipartisan climate policy that allows farmers to earn a fair and reasonable
return on voluntary conservation practices. Our vision, as a farmer-led organization, is to create a
climate policy that farmers champion because it values the agricultural sector’s contributions to a wide
set of environmental benefits, enables a profit opportunity from voluntary stewardship, helps farmers
become more resilient and keep their farms in their families, transforms environmental policy into an
investment in farmers and rural communities, and supports farmers in being good stewards of the
land. Our RIPE100 proposal advances a $100/acre payment for voluntary conservation practices that
deliver at least that much in public benefits from a combination of improvements to water, climate,
soil, and other elements of the environment.
The responsibilities of the Government Affairs Lead are to:
● Identify politically viable opportunities in the House and Senate Ag Committees and the
Presidential Administration to advance RIPE’s mission, including analyzing stimulus, budget
appropriations and reconciliation, carbon farming, and others.
● Prepare talking points for agricultural groups to engage their policymakers and for
policymakers to use in Hearings.
● Track, analyze, and summarize political developments from the perspective of RIPE’s policy
roadmap as well as farmers’ general economic interests.
● Identify politically viable opportunities for revenue sources discussed within the climate
policy arena, including tracking discussions around: stimulus, tax reform, biofuels, Farm Bill,
● Engage Congressional staffers for feedback on policy design.
● Inform political strategy with Congressional power mapping.
● Present policy to agricultural trade associations and solicit feedback and buy-in.
● Propose multiple policy design options with pros and cons that address stakeholder needs,
economic considerations, practicality, and policy precedent.
Skills, Abilities, & Qualifications
● Four or more years of experience as a Congressional staffer or lobbyist, with at least two
years on the agricultural portfolio; experience as Agricultural Committee legislative staffer
preferred. Experience working for a company, trade group, or non-profit that focused on Ag
Committee advocacy is also acceptable.
● Experience working on agricultural conservation program design and politics.
● Experience with the appropriations process and strategies is a plus.
● Practical, diplomatic, willing to put farmers first in all policy design considerations.
● Experience with biofuel policies and politics is preferred.
● Strong relationships on the Hill and with the Biden administration is preferred.
● Creative thinker who can draw upon precedent and design new policy.
● Motivated to work in a small, evolving organization and be part of a multi-disciplinary team.
● Excellent organizational skills with ability to manage diverse projects simultaneously, solve
problems creatively, and produce deliverables quickly and efficiently.
● Thorough, solution-seeking, and scientific.
● Comfort working collaboratively with an openness to others’ insights, opinions, and feedback.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. We respectfully request no follow-up calls or emails. Please include “Government Affairs
Lead” in the subject line of your email applications. To apply, please email your resume, cover letter,
and salary range expectations to: Carreers@RipeRoadmap.org. We provide a comprehensive
compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent medical and dental benefits, retirement
savings, and generous vacation and sick leave policy.
All positions will be remote during the covid-19 pandemic and team meetings will be held in Eastern
Standard time zone. After the pandemic, work will be conducted out of an office in Washington D.C.
Northeast with the option for remote work. Applicants based in the DC region are preferred for this
RIPE is an independent operating project of the nonprofit umbrella organization, Multiplier, a
nationally recognized nonprofit with a growing portfolio of innovative initiatives that conserve and
protect a sustainable and resilient world (www.multiplier.org). RIPE is in the process of becoming
an independent non-profit in late 2021.
Multiplier and RIPE Roadmap celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and
partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and RIPE
Roadmap are also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from
discrimination and harassment. Multiplier and RIPE Roadmap prohibit discrimination in its
governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability,
religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal,
marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is
derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit-based factors.
Job posted: 2021-07-06