Government Affairs Lead
Rural Investment to Protect our Environment (RIPE) is seeking a Government Affairs Lead with
expertise in agricultural legislation to shape and oversee a federal policy proposal that invests in
farmers and the environment. RIPE seeks a self-motivated political strategists with expertise in
Congressional processes in the agricultural committees. We are considering applicants who are
seasoned as well as more junior, and salary will be negotiated based on experience. The Government
Affairs lead will manage the communications and strategy of a federal-level policy proposals through
their own analysis and support from technical consultants, and by integrating feedback from
stakeholders, members of Congress, and a farmer-led steering committee. If you are excited to use
your experience on the Hill to achieve ambitious U.S. climate and sustainable agriculture policy that
invests in profitable farming opportunities, this is the opportunity for you.
RIPE is a non-profit with a mission to inspire a bipartisan climate policy that allows farmers to earn a
fair & profitable return on voluntary stewardship. Our vision, as a farmer-led organization, is to create
a climate policy that farmers champion because it values our contributions to a wide set of
environmental benefits, enables a profit opportunity from voluntary stewardship, helps farmers
become more resilient, helps farmers keep their farms in their family, transforms environmental policy
into a rural investment that benefits farmers and rural communities, and supports farmers in being
good stewards of the land. Our slogan is “Creating farmers first-choice climate policy”.
The responsibilities of the Government Affairs Lead are to:
• Identify politically viable opportunities in the House and Senate Ag Committees and
Presidential Administration to advance RIPE’s mission, including analyzing stimulus, budget
appropriations and reconciliation, carbon farming, and others.
• Prepare talking points for agricultural groups to engage their policymakers and for
policymakers to use in Hearings
• Track, analyze and summarize political developments from the perspective of RIPE’s policy
roadmap as well as farmers’ general economic interests.
• Identify politically viable opportunities for revenue sources discussed within the climate
policy arena, including tracking discussions around: stimulus, tax reform, biofuels, Farm Bill,
• Engage Congressional staffers for feedback on policy design.
• Inform political strategy with Congressional power mapping.
• Present policy to agricultural trade associations and solicit feedback and buy-in.
• Propose multiple policy design options with pros and cons that address stakeholder needs,
economic considerations, practicality, and policy precedent.
Skills, Abilities, & Qualifications
• Four or more years of experience as a Congressional staffer or lobbyist, with at least two
years on the agricultural portfolio.
• Experience as Agricultural Committee legislative staffer preferred. Experience working for
a company, trade group, or non-profit that focused on Ag Committee advocacy, is also
• Experience working on agricultural conservation program design and politics.
• Practical, diplomatic, willingness to put farmers-first in all policy design considerations.
• Experience with biofuel policies and politics is preferred.
• Strong relationships on the Hill and with the Biden administration is preferred.
• Creative thinker who can draw upon precedent and design new policy.
• Motivated to work in a small, evolving organization and be part of a multi-disciplinary team.
• Excellent organizational skills with ability to manage diverse projects simultaneously, solve
problems creatively. and produce deliverables quickly and efficiently.
• Thorough, solution-seeking, and scientific.
• Comfort working collaboratively with an openness to others’ insights, opinions, and feedback.
Please apply by June 13. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. We respectfully request
no follow-up calls or emails. Please include “Government Affairs Lead” in the subject line of your
email applications. Applications submitted only via LinkedIn or other platforms will not be
considered. To apply, please email your resume, cover letter, and salary range expectations to:
Carreers@RipeRoadmap.org. We provide a comprehensive compensation package, including
competitive salary, excellent medical and dental benefits, retirement savings, and generous vacation
and sick leave policy. All positions will be remote during the covid-19 pandemic and team meetings
will be held in Eastern Standard time zone. After the pandemic, work will be conducted out of an
office in Washington D.C. Northeast with the option for remote work. Applicants based in the DC
region are preferred for this position.
RIPE is an independent operating project of the nonprofit umbrella organization, Multiplier, a
nationally recognized nonprofit with a growing portfolio of innovative initiatives that conserve and
protect a sustainable and resilient world (www.multiplier.org). RIPE is in the process of spinning off
to an independent non-profit in late 2021.
Multiplier and RIPE Roadmap celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that
represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and RIPE Roadmap are also
committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment.
Multiplier and RIPE Roadmap prohibit discrimination in its governance, programs and activities on the basis
of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic
information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part
of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factors.
Job posted: 2021-06-03