Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government Affairs Lead, Global Patient Solutions (Sr. Director)
Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure the health and safety of our teams.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
Gilead is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of high unmet medical need. The company strives to transform and simplify care for people with life-threatening illnesses around the world. Founded in 1987, Gilead has approximately 13,000 employees and operations in more than 35 countries worldwide.
Gilead is known for its innovative medicines, start-up culture, lean teams and deep expertise of its people. Gilead has a heritage of being grounded in science.
The Gilead Global Government Affairs and Policy team aims to act as a critical link, connecting governments with Gilead science and connecting Gilead with policymakers’ needs and expectations. We strive to be a thought-leading function, valued for our analysis and insight and capability to inform policy change that enhances patients’ access to Gilead’s innovation. Our vision of success is to foster an environment where governments value, reward and support access to Gilead’s innovation.
Summary of the role:
Senior Director, Government Affairs – Global Patient Solutions (GPS), will be based in either Washington, DC or London, reporting to the Executive Director of the Inter-Continental Region within the International Government Affairs team. The ideal candidate is a dynamic, business-focused, and creative individual who is knowledgeable about the financing, access and coverage of health care services and treatments in low- and middle-income countries and has a strong background in government affairs. The successful candidate will be part of the GPS leadership team and will have the opportunity to shape Gilead’s presence in approximately 140 low- and middle-income countries in Africa, South and Southeast Asia, Central America, and the Caribbean.
The Senior Director’s primary responsibility will be to work closely with all parts of Gilead’s GPS business to develop relationships with government officials to support commercial and corporate objectives.
The Senior Director will help manage the company’s government and consultancy relationships in GPS Markets and will work in close collaboration with Gilead’s country teams as well as headquarters teams to enhance local relationships.
The Senior Director will build strong cross-functional relationships with Gilead’s Value and Access, Medical Affairs, Regulatory, Legal, and Public Affairs teams. Within Government Affairs and Policy, this individual will be responsible for prioritizing regional advocacy needs and identifying resources available across the team that can support GPS advocacy, coordinating closely with Policy, U.S. Federal Government Affairs, and other sub-teams as needed.
- Build and maintain trust-based relationships with policymakers in priority GPS governments, leading outreach to national ministries and regional governmental organizations like the African Union. Develop new relationships as needed.
- Partner with US Federal Government Affairs to align Gilead’s outreach with key US Government Agencies, such as the State Department (including PEPFAR), the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Global Affairs, USAID, and relevant health security programs to support GPS objectives.
- Collaborate with the Policy team to develop GPS-relevant policy positions, stakeholder mapping and advocacy action plans.
- Serve on the GPS Leadership Team and represent Government Affairs and Policy views on the policy environment and potential impact on Gilead and GPS priorities. Support GPS leadership in developing novel approaches to a constantly changing external environment.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for Gilead Government Affairs and Policy in the GPS markets.
- Support country-level advocacy strategies and implementation of global or GPS initiatives.
- Coordinate internally with all functions to ensure successful and efficient operations in the GPS Markets (e.g., Value and Access, Policy, Legal, Medical Affairs, Public Affairs).
- Work closely within Gilead to earn the confidence of senior executives and help them understand the political and business environment and the value of Government Affairs in the GPS region.
- Provide timely updates to internal management on opportunities, challenges, and risks in the GPS policy and government affairs environment.
- Manage relationships with trade associations and other membership and advocacy groups in the GPS region.
- Supervise consultants, contractors or direct reports providing local government relations support within GPS subregions or markets.
- Contribute to a strong GPS communication plan, leveraging all internal and external communication opportunities, to establish Gilead as an industry leader in driving innovative patient solutions for resource-challenged settings. Guide the creation of presentations and narratives that demonstrate Gilead’s unique partnerships and role in the broader healthcare landscape.
- Ensure integrity and uphold Gilead’s corporate values and adherence to laws, regulations, and compliance principles in every market.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Minimum 13-15 years’ experience with a successful track record of being a leader in policy setting environments in government, and/or in policy and government relations functions with a corporation, consultancy, trade association or special interest group.
- Master’s degree or MBA or equivalent preferred.
- Strong existing relationships with GPS government officials, policymakers, and agencies at a national and as regional level.
- Significant experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-05-14