Responsible for all legislative affairs activities in Maryland; these activities include; monitoring and responding to all relative legislative activities in the state of Maryland and targeted Counties and Municipalities; working with outside consultants on all state legislative and regulatory activities; working with members on specific legislative issues; fostering campaign activities and relationships with specific elected officials through contributions and active participation in fundraising process. Responsible for coordinating government affairs activities on Federal level with national affiliates. Responsible for promoting The Maryland Multi-Housing Association (MMHA) and the rental housing industry to members, legislators, the media, and the public at large.
- Monitors, reviews and researches proposed bills, ordinances, regulations on federal, local and state levels.
- Monitors political issues and activity including trends, policy development, and contemplated legislation.
- Works with outside lobbyists to coordinate state and local legislative programs and strategy.
- Meets with legislators and staff.
- Attends hearings, legislative sessions.
- Maintains relationships with legislators on all levels of government.
- Maintains relationships with the staff of legislators.
- Maintains coalitions and alliances with related real estate and multifamily associations with similar objectives.
- Drafts legislation and or amendments to legislation.
- Attends fundraisers for candidates.
- Prepares and distributes regular legislative updates, position papers, issue papers, correspondence with legislators, reports to the Board and information on the MMHA website.
- Communicates with members regarding legislative and government issues.
- Coordinates the activities of the Legislative Committee.
- Prepares and presents testimony for local and state government bodies and prepares testimony for members as needed.
- Prepares articles and communications as needed.
- Prepares annual Government Affairs Report.
- Develops strategies for using PAC funds and administers the PAC account.
- Assists in developing strategies and tactics to create a favorable image of the apartment industry throughout MD.
- Maintains records and prepares Lobbying Disclosure Reports, Campaign Finance Reports with the assistance of the MMHA office manager.
- Researches legal issues and related topics.
- Teaches MMHA classes as needed.
- Assists in member services and retention including major events.
- Serves on NAA committees and task force efforts, including the Legislative Committee.
- Perform all other jobs and duties as directed by the Executive Director, Legislative Committee, MMHA Board of Directors and the MMHA PAC Board of Trustees.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Government Relations: 2 years (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-21