Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government Affairs Manager
Job Purpose and Summary
Reporting to the Director of Government Affairs, the Manager, Government Affairs promotes and advances the interests of the company to enable CCI to operate without undue legislation, regulation, or taxation restrictions. The Manager leverages extensive professional networks developed and maintained, as well as a strong and evolving knowledge base to play a highly influential role through diverse accountabilities. Role accountabilities include but are not limited to: ensuring CCI’s compliance with licensing and other regulations at the federal, state, and local levels; representing and advocating for CCI’s interests regarding public policy that furthers the interests of the company. The Manager also supports business development by advocating for and representing CCI subsidiaries, lines of business, and/or other Cox divisions doing business in states, locations, or regions supported by the role.
The Manager contributes to the development of 12-18 mo. strategies based on known issues and successfully executes the strategy once approved. Also plays an important role in employee engagement, PAC involvement, education for employees and elected officials, as well as other grassroots and community involvement activities serving to elevate the company’s presence and brand within the markets served. The role works with a high level of accountability and autonomy and may or may not have direct reports.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions
License and Regulatory Compliance
- Negotiates license/franchise agreements and renewals at the local and state level (where applicable). Ensures boundary partners are informed of the terms of and compliant with license/franchise agreements.
- May oversee notifications (e.g., cable franchise-required notifications), and respond to inquiries, problems, and issues raised by municipalities, state, and federal officials or agencies.
- May serve as the main point of contact in the market/state regarding the FCC public file.
- Works with other departments to assist with permitting, right of way, license, and legal issues.
- Develops and implements tactical plans for department including priorities, objectives, and timelines to meet performance goals.
- Send regular communications to municipalities for any channel changes or rate increases, etc. (to comply with FCC rules)
- Manage inquiries from local franchising authorities
- Collaborates to develop and execute government affairs strategies in north county San Diego that advance the goals and objectives of the company at the municipal level of government.
- Advocates for the company on key policy issues and initiatives with municipal elected officials and staff.
- Testifies/presents at municipal meetings, as necessary, to represent and advocate for the company’s interests on any matters that may have the potential to impact the business.
- Continually evaluates results of government relations activities, develops strategies, and adjusts activities to meet changing local conditions.
- May manage relationships with local lobbying firms/consultants and communicates company goals and objectives. May be required to ensure the lobbying/consulting contract(s) are executed per the terms agreed upon. May be required to ensure alignment on issues and government affairs strategy.
- May develop grass-roots campaigns to advocate Cox’ position on important issues, some may be market specific.
- Coaches management on tactics for maintaining good relationships with public entities and appearances before local, state and federal elected officials.
- May be required to assemble and file all local and state lobbying reports as required by law.
- Work with the Construction Department at the local level on permitting, escalations, work with property owners for rights of way.
- May prepare information and coordinate with the federal lobbying team for Congressional meetings held locally or in Washington, DC.
- Prepare local economic impact reports
- Attend fundraising events and manage local requests for PAC support
- Tracking for lobbying reports and expenses and time expended with elected officials & staff (Knowledgis system)
- May manage and/or support political donation programs, including PACs and other influencing strategies.
- May plan and execute employee political engagement programs and regional/market communications.
- Collaborate to develop and execute a political strategy for candidate and issue support during election seasons.
- May represent Cox in non-profit or business-related boards and events that have business impact or to secure stakeholder engagement.
- Supports the execution of community events that support or align with public policy issues.
- Strategy work with other stakeholders on issues that impact the company
- Assists in creating economic development and business service strategies in collaboration with Cox Business, Hospitality Network, and Cox Media.
- Partners with representatives from other Cox subsidiaries and divisions (CEI & CAI) as needed for tips on new developments and to leverage networks
- Tracking market trends and business climate changes that impact business decisions
- Recognizes political issues and market conditions that can impact business development or emerging issues
- Manages alignment and consistency in people practices, management activities, and customer service delivery in an effort to achieve goals.
- May develop policies and procedures for department to standardize practices.
- Analyzes market trends; coordinates and communicates with others to determine appropriate responses.
- Establishes and leverages strong partnerships with key departments and internal/external customers
- May participate in hiring decisions, employee development, training and managing performance. Motivates and coaches others to achieve department and company goals.
- May be responsible for government affairs budgeting.
- May be a People Leader or a Functional Manager without direct reports; directly leverages, influences, and has on-going access to reporting/non-reporting resources to achieve results.
- Depending on local market needs, may be required to exercise autonomy in decision making, actions, and influence to meet with local officials, and expect high level of representation of company
- Provides Market Leader support as needed depending on the market, such as involvement in business and community organizations that may require alignment of company position on policy measures.
- Inform Litigation and Legal strategy based on local and political landscape.
- Manages CT PEG studios and staff.
- Engages in community events through non-profit partners and industry groups i.e. Chambers of Commerce and other trade organizations.
- Serve as state/municipal point of contact during states of emergencies or other weather events.
Qualifications – Internal
- 10 years of experience in a related field (e.g. Government Relations/Lobbying, Law or relevant government staff position and/or public policy); or a BS/BA degree in a related discipline (e.g. Business Administration, Political Science, Law, Communications, etc.) with 6 years of experience in a related field and at least 1 year of experience in a management or lead role; or MS/MA degree in a related discipline with 4 years of experience in a related field; or Ph.D. in a related discipline with 1 year of experience in a related field
- Possesses established relationships with elected and key government staff, business and trade associations, and state and local lobbying community.
- Demonstrated professional, executive image when representing the company
- Excellent leadership, presentation, collaborative, and negotiation skills to work effectively with teams inside and outside the organization.
- Must possess effective writing, public speaking, collaboration, organization, multi-tasking, interpersonal, and secondary research skills.
- Strong project management expertise with an ability to reach targeted goals in a highly unstructured environment.
- Ability to work independently and productively in a highly matrixed environment
- Ability to motivate and lead ad-hoc, multi-disciplined project teams of highly skilled associates in resolving critical operational issues in a teaming environment.
- Requires strong knowledge of applications such Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Ability to perform confidential assignments using initiative and judgment.
- Ability to travel and have overnights outside of residence is required and may occur 25% of the time.
- Certification may be required in some areas (i.e., lobbying registration)
- Lobbying skills and experience
- Applicable experience related to public utility commission/telecom regulatory issues preferred.
- Knowledge of telecommunications, broadband, and CATV industry and technologies preferred.
- Experience with local, state govt affairs issues is strongly preferred
- Experience with federal government govt affairs a plus /optional
- Issues management and PAC experience desired
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is the largest private telecom company in America, serving six million homes and businesses. That’s a lot, but we also proudly serve our employees. Our benefits and our award-winning culture are just two of the things that make Cox a coveted place to work. If you’re interested in bringing people closer through broadband, smart home tech and more, join Cox Communications today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Job posted: 2022-09-20