Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government Affairs Manager #2022-2
Some of the biggest challenges America will face in the coming decades are related to energy and utilities. Essential to our economy, health, standard of living, and national security, the energy sector is constantly evolving. Low-carbon propane is a vital part of that evolution, and at the National Propane Gas Association, we represent every segment of the propane industry. Join our team as State and Municipal Advocacy Manager to develop niche expertise in the energy sector and support a national movement toward cleaner energy use.
The Work You’ll Do
Working closely under the Director of State Advocacy & Affairs, you will serve as an influential propane industry advocate on state and municipal legislative and regulatory issues. Your work has two main components:
- Develop and maintain relationships with key external policymakers to promote the industry’s objectives, primarily on the state and local levels. You will represent NPGA at critical national energy association meetings, serve on task forces and committees, and attend and present at regional propane association meetings.
- Research and identify state and local government action that could impact the propane industry across all 50 US states and collaborate with the Director to craft well-written, research-based advocacy positions.
Work Environment, Salary, and Benefits
We may consider full-time remote work for the right match of skills and experience, but candidates who live near DC will enjoy a hybrid work environment at our DC office two days a week with the flexibility of working from home up to three days a week. You will travel 20-25% of the time.
The salary for this role is budgeted at $80-85K, with the potential for bonuses. We offer a generous benefits package that includes minimal cost medical and dental insurance, transportation benefits, three weeks PTO your first year plus 14 federal holidays, and more.
Next to solar and wind, propane—and increasingly, renewable propane—is one of the cleanest fuels approved under the Clean Air Act. The National Propane Gas Association (NPGA) is the national trade association representing the US propane industry. We represent members from 2,500 companies in all 50 states, 36 affiliated state or regional associations, and 19 foreign countries. Our work pushes the propane industry forward by advancing safety and sound public policy.
- Serve as a propane industry advocate on key state and municipal level legislative and regulatory issues to promote the use of propane and create a favorable business environment for NPGA members.
- Represent the propane industry and pursue engagement opportunities at meetings of the National Association of State Energy Officials, National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners, National Energy Assistance Directors Association, National Conference of State Legislatures, and others as assigned; attend state/regional propane association meetings.
- Monitor state public service commission filings to identify potential threats to the propane industry.
- Monitor actions by municipal governments to ban gas infrastructure and restrict energy choice in favor of electrifying buildings and transportation.
- Conduct research and draft industry comment letters regarding state energy policies and utility filings that can be legislative or regulatory in nature.
- Support grassroots advocacy campaigns.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience as a staffer for a state lawmaker, utility ratemaking and monitoring utility filings, and/or experience with organizations representing state government and energy/utility interests preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office and technical proficiency in database management.
- Effective communicator. You can deliver critical and complex information to a variety of audiences credibly and persuasively and can challenge and be challenged in intellectual debate.
- Detail-oriented. You are meticulously attentive to details, get it right the first time, and accurately keep track of all the moving parts to meet strict deadlines.
- Autonomous. While you will work closely with the Director, we trust you to exercise independent judgment, do your job well, and know when to seek guidance.
- Organized. You bring order to competing priorities and can manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously effectively.
- Collaborative. You have a proven track record of getting results by building strong relationships and partnerships.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- You will make a difference in a national movement toward clean energy. This advocacy support role helps NPGA make a measurable contribution to the future of the propane industry and America’s energy sustainability.
- You will develop a high level of knowledge about the energy sector. The complexity of the propane industry’s challenges will ensure that you are captivated and engaged each day while strengthening your career trajectory in the field.
- You will like who you work with. Your colleagues are highly respected industry experts, and our members are fantastic. Many of our members are family-owned, family-friendly companies, welcoming and appreciative of our work. Your supervisor is experienced and will support you as you come up to speed.
- NPGA is a family-friendly organization that supports your personal and career goals and respects your life outside of work.
Click here to find out more information on how to apply
Job posted: 2022-10-25