Government Affairs Manager
Auto req ID: 6981
Title: Government Affairs Manager (Washington DC)
Job Function: Legal
Company: Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
At Harley-Davidson, we are building more than machines. It’s our passion and commitment to continue the evolution of this storied brand, and heighten the desirability of the Harley-Davidson experience. To keep building our legend and leading our industry through innovation, evolution, and emotion we need the best and brightest talent. We stand for the timeless pursuit of adventure. Freedom for the soul. Are you ready?
The Government Affairs Manager is responsible for enhancing the Company’s relationship with government at various levels, to inform government about the issues important to the Company and to help influence government decision-making in order to support the Company’s business objectives. Some focused attention will be on electric vehicle technology innovation and incentives, mobility solutions and inclusion of motorcycling in future publicly funded research, design, development, and deployment of smart roadways, highways and bridges. You will also be responsible for tracking new legislation at the Federal and state level that might affect the Company and, at the local level, noise ordinances and laws affecting motorcycling.
While this role reports out of our Milwaukee, WI corporate office, given the nature of the work, the ideal candidate will be located in Washington DC.
- Responsible for educating and keeping the Company informed about political and legislative developments that might affect its business and helping to devise and execute strategies with key stakeholders in order to achieve desired outcomes relative to new legislation and regulations
- Coordinate with the Legal, Communication, Regulatory and Rider Services Departments, this position will also help identify opportunities for employee action and involvement and to position the Company in a constructive and positive light with government entities to gain their support for the Company’s business objectives
- Responsible for helping to manage the Company’s Political Action Committees and ensuring their compliance with applicable election laws
- Provides legal advice and support
- Participates in the development of long and short term strategies, tactics and policies and procedures
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Public Administration, Business Administration or a related field. An advanced degree is highly preferred.
This role typically requires a minimum of 8 years of experience in government affairs or related activities, whether in the private or public sectors.
- Must understand how government works; have knowledge and understanding of current political events and trends and have an understanding of how they potentially affect the Company, especially its product lines and service offerings for customers
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to influence and be looked to as a resource by various stakeholders are also required
- Ability to function in a dynamic, ambiguous environment is important, including the ability to help solve problems independently and in accordance with the values and issues identified by the Company
Vehicle (particularly motorcycle) industry background is a plus.
We offer an inclusive compensation package for all full-time salaried employees including, but not limited to, annual bonus programs, health insurance benefits, a 401k program, onsite fitness centers and employee stores, employee discounts on products and accessories, and more. We welcome everybody to join our family and be united no matter who you are or where you come from. Learn more about Harley-Davidson here.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Direct Reports: No
Travel Required: 10 – 25%
Visa Sponsorship: This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship
Relocation: This position is eligible for domestic relocation assistance (within posted country)
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-30