Government Affairs Manager
This is an exciting time to join Portland General Electric. As Oregon’s largest electric utility, Portland General Electric is leading an energy transformation that will harness the power of clean and renewable resources. Our vision for a clean energy future relies on three interrelated and overarching strategies: de-carbonize through investing in clean and reliable energy; modernize through a smarter more resilient grid; and empower our customers in their energy technology choices.
We’re searching for innovative, customer and results-obsessed leaders to help power our mission and lead the way in championing the world’s clean energy future!
Government Affairs Manager
As a member of the state Government Affairs team you will:
- Work with the Director of the Government Affairs team and internal and external stakeholders to formulate and execute company positions and strategies on issues before state agencies.
- Partner with the PGE regulatory team on policy dockets to ensure smooth transitions between legislative and regulatory forums.
- Lead PGE’s internal bill assessment process before and during legislative sessions, analyze proposed and actual laws and regulations, identify impacted areas of PGE, engage subject matter experts, and provide analysis and guidance.
- Prepare lobbying materials and testimony, letters, reports, requests and filings; perform research in support of policy development and advocacy.
- Coordinate outreach and engagement efforts in support of company initiatives.
- Establish and maintain favorable strategic relationships with state agency personnel, other utilities, customer representatives and interest groups.
- Work with customers and other stakeholders to identify common interests and work to further them when consistent with the company’s overall priorities and objectives.
- Serve as a company spokesperson in appropriate forums.
- Prepare reports regularly to management on status of major initiatives, agency rulemakings and similar proceedings, and activities.
- Timely prepare and file state lobbyist compliance reports.
You should be someone with strong advocacy, negotiation and communication skills, and the ability to balance multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
Our ideal candidate will be someone with eight or more years’ experience in public policy and lobbying, experience in developing both long- and short-term advocacy strategies and tactics, experience in coalition building with diverse interests to advance policy priorities, and a solid understanding of energy and utility policy issues. Work experience in a legislative environment (e.g., state legislature, Congress) a plus.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in political science, environmental science, business or other related field or equivalent experience. Master’s degree in public policy or juris doctorate preferred.
Please note this is an individual contributor role with no direct reports.
Join us today and power your potential!
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the posting close date. A cover letter may be needed with your application to be considered for this position.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
Talent Acquisition Contact:
At Portland General Electric, we’re innovators, builders, and achievers. We’re committed to powering our customers’ potential and making a difference for our community and the planet. Today, that commitment includes developing an intelligent and resilient electric grid, electrifying transportation and de-carbonizing the energy sector.
We’re proud to deliver an exceptional experience to help our customers thrive. Our mission is to make clean, reliable and affordable energy services available to all. We obsess over serving customers and are committed to growing employee career paths with purpose. Equity and inclusion are core business values; we celebrate our differences and are committed to developing teams that reflect the communities we serve.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-10