Government Affairs Manager
Demonstrating initiative, analytical skills, and superior relationship-building ability, the Government Affairs Manager will carry forward the advocacy work of the organization. This position will build credibility and influence policy, activating support for California’s state park system. This position will work in collaboration with the Partnerships, Engagement, and Philanthropy teams, under the direction of the Executive Director.
Advocacy Activities – 65%
Legislation and grassroots advocacy
- Advance advocacy priorities for the organization, reflecting the organization’s goals
- Work directly with California State Parks policy director and staff to exchange intelligence and create alignment.
- Work with contract lobbyist to manage information on park legislation and policy initiatives.
- Lead logistics and planning for annual Park Advocacy Day, Policy Forum, district days, webinars, and other advocacy events that involve connecting California State Parks Foundation members and advocates with legislators, staff, or other state government leaders.
- Manage direct lobbying and grassroot activities on legislation, meeting with legislative staff, policy staff and electeds, giving testimony, organizing position letters and other activities that leverage California State Parks Foundation’s voice on critical bills and policies.
- Provide content for policy platform and associated briefs, reports, materials, and other communications as necessary to support to advocacy agenda, in collaboration with Engagement team
- Support Executive Director in advocacy-related media outreach, including drafting press releases, letters to the editor and op-eds, building and maintaining media lists, and conducting follow-up contacts with reporters and editors.
- Collaborate across the organization on critical calls to action that engage existing advocates and grow new supporters.
- Create and deliver trainings, presentations, and briefings when needed for both internal and external audiences.
- Track relationships with partners, key members of the legislature, legislative staff, committee staff, California state park staff, and executive staff in Salesforce to build knowledge around our government affairs work.Tracking interests, activities, meetings, and all correspondence.,
- Assist with development of research, studies, public polling, statistics, and insights on trends to inform and push forward advocacy agenda.
- Manage compliance with state and federal lobbying rules.
- Identify opportunities for partner engagement, education and activation, in collaboration with Partnerships Manager.
- Support coalition-building activities for partner engagement, mobilization, and activation opportunities.
- Support Executive Director in engaging Board with organization’s advocacy opportunities.
- Support Philanthropy and Membership teams in identifying fundraising opportunities and creating materials to cultivate and steward funders and individual donors.
Policy Development – 30%
- Support Executive Director in identifying developing threats facing California state parks and recommending a course of action that aligns with organizational priorities.
- In collaboration with Partnerships, Volunteerism, and Engagement teams, develop expertise, relationships, and agenda on key issue areas for California state parks.
Operations – 5%
- Support facilities management in Sacramento office, assisting Finance and Operations team in maintaining a clean, safe, and organized environment that supports employee engagement and productivity.
Other duties as assigned.
- 3+ years of experience in California legislative affairs.
- Commitment to California State Parks Foundation’s mission: you love spending time outdoors in parks and are enthusiastic about sharing their benefits with all Californians.
- Ability and willingness to travel across California to tour any of the 280 state parks as needed, occasionally engaging in vigorous outdoor activities
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong analytical abilities and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Demonstrated initiative and self-motivation.
- Flexible in the face of changing priorities.
- High integrity: ability to maintain confidentiality and operate with discretion.
- Collaborative team player who pitches in to do what needs to be done.
- Highly organized; experience developing processes and procedures.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Ability to adhere to deadlines.
- Ability to work occasional weekends and evenings
- Familiarity with the California state park system, environmental and/or conservation practices
- Knowledge of state and Federal rules governing 501(c)3 organizations and lobbying.
- Familiarity with workplace productivity tools like Asana, Slack, and Zoom.
- Demonstrated project management abilities.
- Experience with Salesforce and SharePoint.
- Confident and comfortable in public speaking and facilitating meetings.
- Valid driver license.
How to Apply
Please email your application to email@example.com with “Government Affairs Manager” in the subject line. Your application should include your resume and a thoughtful cover letter that addresses why you are a good fit for this position and the organization. Please use separate attachments for each individual component with your last name in the file names. Applications considered on a rolling basis until position is filled.
Job posted: 2021-08-29