Government Affairs Manager
Full Job Description
Fast-paced, small-sized association seeking highly-capable and versatile Manager of Government Affairs to report to Director of Government and Chapters Affairs. The Manager of Government Affairs is primarily responsible for coordinating the organization’s state and provincial legislative, regulatory, and grassroots efforts; supporting fundraising and payer advocacy initiatives; and managing stakeholder communications and advocacy committee functions. The International Hearing Society, established in 1951, is based in Livonia, Michigan; and this position is a remote opportunity whereby the candidate is located in the Metro DC area. Only candidates in Maryland and Virginia will be considered for this remote position and must have a dedicated at-home workspace.
- 5-7 combined years of experience working in a state legislature and/or lobbying at the state level
- Have Bachelors degree or higher in related field
- Have a sophisticated understanding of policy-making processes, including state legislative and regulatory processes, and political dynamics
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, while prioritizing important issues
- Must be diligent and highly organized, with extremely strong attention to detail and a commitment to high-quality and timely work product and processes.
- Must have exceptional research, analytical, writing, and editing skills
- Be a skilled communicator, including having experience presenting to small-to-medium sized groups and possess an aptitude for customer service
- Be a proactive team player with leadership ability, willing to accept responsibilities and assignments
- Be able to work independently with limited supervision, and make work visible
- Possess strong computer skills, including experience with or the ability to quickly pick up knowledge using CRM, website content management, and advocacy software systems and programs
- Must be willing to support the administrative side of advocacy and fundraising projects.
- Experience with health care, state licensing, and fundraising ideal. Association experience preferred
- Occasional travel required
- Assist the Director of Government and Chapter Affairs in coordinating the execution of the Government Affairs Department business plan and IHS’s organizational priorities.
- Manage state and provincial advocacy efforts in coordination with Director of Government Affairs, chapters, licensing boards, members, and other IHS staff; including actively tracking and responding to relevant legislation and regulations to advance the public policy goals of the society.
- Develop and execute public policy and advocacy campaigns, which include but are not limited to engaging and leading chapters and members to achieve policy goals; and preparing letters, testimony, legislation, and grassroots materials to support state and provincial legislative and regulatory efforts.
- Represent IHS members before a variety of external audiences, including legislators and legislative staff, agency staff and other regulatory parties, and other industry-related groups representing manufacturers, consumers, other professional organizations, and coalition partners.
- Develop and maintain strong partnership with state and provincial licensing bodies, and develop and execute annual licensing board conference.
- Work with Director of Government and Chapter Affairs to develop and implement annual fundraising plan, and manage related activities, including executing fundraising campaigns, providing administrative support, managing donor appreciation activities, and tracking contributions.
- Develop and manage departmental e-newsletters and other communications with key audiences, including by writing articles and using online member forums.
- Provide on-site support at the IHS Annual Convention on portions of the event related to advocacy, including fundraising, and committee and stakeholder meetings.
- Manage to start to end, annual silent auction, including soliciting donations, marketing and recognition activities, and onsite execution at the IHS Annual Convention, and associated follow up activities
- Provide support for member-led advocacy committee, including through notice of bi-monthly meetings, agendas and minutes; scheduling of conference calls.
- Represent IHS at chapter, industry partner, coalition, and DC-based meetings as needed.
- Maintain a finger on the pulse of the industry, seeking to learn and share knowledge with staff and members.
- Manage other special projects and duties as assigned.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- State Advocacy: 3 years (Preferred)
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-10-04