Government Affairs Manager
Every Exelixis employee is united in an ambitious cause: to launch innovative medicines that give patients and their families hope for the future. In this pursuit, we know our employees are our most valuable asset. After operating in the challenging biotech sector for 25 years, we have a proven track record of resiliency in the face of adversity. The success of our lead product has provided a solid commercial foundation allowing us to reinvigorate our research efforts, and grow our team in areas such as Drug Discovery, Clinical Development and Commercial.
As we expand our global partnerships and further reinvest in R&D to help us discover the next breakthrough for difficult-to-treat cancers, we’re seeking to add talented, dedicated employees to power our mission.
Cancer is our cause. Make it yours, too.
The Government Affairs Manager will represent and advance Exelixis’ interests by supporting a positive, credible, and productive presence for the company within the federal and state government ecosystems. Success in this position will start with a clear understanding of Exelixis’ mission, as expressed through its current and future business goals, as well as its values and priorities. This position will conduct research, advise, and provide suggested strategy to leadership on the government affairs and public policy actions and initiatives that may best support that mission, and then work with the Exelixis team and its external partners to put the resulting plan into effect.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Work with leadership to develop and drive Exelixis’ objectives and initiatives involving state and federal government affairs and policy, including identification of operational issues that may benefit from legislative or regulatory action.
• Support management through regular meetings, briefings, analysis and recommendations regarding policy matters, and company interactions with public officials.
• Monitor, track, and evaluate proposed rulemaking and legislation (state and federal), provide analysis of proposed legislative/regulatory actions, determine the potential impact on Exelixis and propose appropriate responses.
• Watch for and support the evaluation of external commentary concerning the company’s or its industry’s agenda and proactively communicate these concerns back to internal business leaders.
• Support a productive relationship between company senior management and elected officials and organize briefings, meetings and other interactions with government officials.
• Support the formation and maintaining of issue coalitions and drive policy change.
• Serve as a positive, credible and influential presence for the company with key trade associations, as well as national public policy and legislative groups and other relevant stakeholder organizations.
• Working with the broader Exelixis Government Affairs team and its internal partners, support the drafting of presentations, policy papers, speeches and briefing documents for senior management.
• Support the management of federal and state engagements with consultants and lobbyists to ensure implementation of legislative, regulatory and political priorities.
• As a visible representative of Exelixis with responsibility for communication of the company’s mission, business priorities and values, must exercise strong, positive leadership and influencing skills.
• Directly or indirectly supervise consultants and/or vendors.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• BA/BS degree in public policy, public health or related discipline and five years of related experience; or
• MA/MA degree public policy, public health or related discipline and three years of related experience; or
• Equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience and understanding of the public policymaking process, including the ability to identify emerging issues and opportunities, and to support appropriate strategies in response.
• Shares relevant information openly and seeks appropriate input.
• Proven ability to support a comprehensive government affairs vision and strategic plan for an organization or company, and then execute to deliver results, supporting positive change for the entity.
• Dedication to quality and high professional standards, taking responsibility for decisions and accepting accountability for results.
• Takes initiative and operates with a sense of urgency and responsiveness.
• Outstanding ability to build relationships and use influence effectively in a variety of settings, both within the organization and with external constituencies.
• Strong interpersonal acumen that is necessary to deal with a broad range of individuals, backgrounds, and perspectives in a collaborative, strategic, and consensus-driven manner.
• Works through ambiguity, both internally and externally, utilizing strong communication and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks, prioritize appropriately and adapt quickly to new situations, and offer creative solutions to challenging problems.
• Environment: primarily working indoors, performing clerical work or meeting with clients
• Travel required – 60% domestic travel required
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-10-09