Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government Affairs Manager (611564)
Zimmer Biomet is a global medical technology leader. Our team members are part of a company with a heritage of leadership, a focus on shaping the future, and a mission dedicated to alleviating pain and improving the quality of life for people around the world.
The Government Affairs Manager is based in Washington, D.C. and reports to the Senior Director of Government Affairs, who is also based in Washington, D.C. This position supports Government Affairs in the development and execution of state and federal policy and advocacy efforts, including regular interactions with Company senior executives and subject matter experts. This position also supports Government Affairs’ internal and external communications and engagement.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct effective policy issue research and advocacy on a wide array of state and federal policy issues of importance to the Company (e.g., coverage and payment, value-based health care, health information technology, corporate governance, data privacy, labor/employment, etc.), working closely with Company subject matter experts
- Represent the Company’s business and policy interests in meetings with state and federal policymakers, external advocacy groups and industry representatives, again in close coordination with Company subject matter experts and members of the Leadership Team.
- Expand Company outreach to and engagement with federal and state legislators representing those areas of the country in which Zimmer Biomet has a significant presence, e.g., Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, etc.; and, develop and leverage connections with these legislators in support of Company business and policy interests, working, as needed, with external advocacy groups.
- Design and implement Government Affairs’ grassroots efforts; internal and external communications, including Government Affairs and Zimmer Biomet Political Action Committee (Z-PAC) newsletters and Company policy position papers; and Z-PAC activities, including events, meetings and solicitations.
Expected Areas of Competence
- Demonstrated interest in public policy issues – ideally, health care related — and the political process.
- Demonstrated success in building or working with strategic alliances or coalitions.
- Demonstrated intermediate research skills employing various information management platforms to develop appropriate position recommendations.
- Extremely organized, detail-oriented, with an ability to handle sensitive material with tact and confidentiality; operates with a high degree of professionalism, collaboration, diplomacy, discretion and judgment.
- Highly engaging and motivated, responsive, results-oriented, self-starter with demonstrated ability to deliver results within strict time constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain credibility with both external partners and internal stakeholders at all levels of the Company including members of the Leadership Team.
- Demonstrated exceptional oral and written communication skills using various communication platforms (i.e., teleconferences, face-to-face meetings, presentations, written proposals, meeting summaries and reports, and email correspondences).
- Demonstrated advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Bachelor’s Degree or non-US equivalent in Public Policy, Political Science or applicable area required.
- Advanced Degree in Public Policy, Political Science or applicable area, strongly preferred
- A minimum of 6+ years of experience in public policy, legislative affairs, lobbying or applicable area
- Capitol Hill, corporate and/or trade association experience, strongly preferred
15-20% predominantly domestic
At Zimmer Biomet, we believe in The Power of Us, which means that we are stronger together. We are committed to creating an environment where every team member feels included, respected, empowered, and celebrated.
As a Zimmer Biomet team member, you will share in our commitment to providing mobility and renewed life to people around the world. This is why we offer you a competitive rewards package that includes medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, wellness incentives, employee assistance programs as well as paid time off for vacation and holidays.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-05-21