Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government Affairs Manager
OhmConnect is searching for a Government Affairs Manager. This unique role will help advance the company’s regulatory, legislative, and other advocacy interests, with a focus on California state policy. This external-facing position will be part of the Government Affairs team, which identifies key policy issues, understands other stakeholders’ views and opinions, develops the company’s positions, and advocates those positions to policymakers. This role will report to the Head of Government Affairs and Community Relations and will require frequent travel to the California State Capitol. Strong preference for someone based in or near Sacramento, California.
Who we are
OhmConnect is an Oakland-based software company that currently provides demand response (DR) services to over half a million California households. Using a fun and free app, OhmConnect notifies customers of grid events and pays them for their energy reductions. Participation in events can be automated by connecting smart devices (e.g. WiFi thermostats and plugs) to the OhmConnect platform.
We are a technology-centric company in which everyone, from analyst to CEO, is a hands-on collaborator and problem solver. Although most of our team currently lives in California, OhmConnect is a “work from anywhere” company.
What you will do
- Monitor and analyze the impact of legislative and regulatory issues affecting demand response providers and OhmConnect in particular.
- Help communicate and support the company’s position on current and proposed state and national policies, particularly in California, that affect OhmConnect.
- Build and manage key relationships with local, state and national trade associations, government affairs representatives from other companies in the industry, non-profit organizations, and allies to promote and build support for policy positions and proposals.
- Help build a robust network of contacts, champions and allies to leverage advocacy effectiveness.
- Prepare written materials to assist with advocacy efforts (fact sheets, briefing papers, memos, testimony)
- Research potential grant funding opportunities.
- Track and support grant applications.
- Experience with clean energy policy or technology.
- At least five years of work in state government affairs, legislative affairs, public policy, or equivalent experience, preferably in California.
- Bachelors degree with focus in Public Affairs, Communications, or other relevant field preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to communicate complicated and technical points clearly.
- Ability to rapidly assimilate and synthesize information.
- Ability to work in a variety of tasks with varying degrees of uncertainty.
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to work extremely well as part of a cross-functional team.
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage sensitive or controversial subjects with tact, kindness, and professionalism.
- Ability to thrive in a fully-remote internal work environment.
- Ability to travel to Sacramento frequently.
- Alignment with the values of OhmConnect: Be Brave, Lead with Purpose, Put Families First, and GSD (Get Stuff Done)
- A competitive salary based on experience
- Fully remote work environment with home office set-up allowance
- Real and lived work-life balance: Company perks include unlimited vacation (which our C-level team actively encourages everyone to take!), parental leave, and a corporate value of putting families first
- Competitive benefits package that includes full suite of wellness benefits and stock options
- Opportunity to work with amazing people who are passionate about reversing climate change, thriving in a fully-remote work environment, and learning and growing every day
Not eligible for visa sponsorship.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Individuals seeking employment at OhmConnect are considered without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identification, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Job posted: 2022-01-03