Government Affairs Manager – 9808
AAR is a leading provider of aviation services to the worldwide commercial aerospace and government/defense industries. AAR combines a close-to-the-customer business model with a broad menu of capabilities to help customers operate more efficiently, lower costs and maintain high levels of quality, safety and service. We are a financially stable, dedicated partner with an enduring commitment to innovation, execution, continuous improvement and customer value. At AAR we are committed to doing it right, and we have built our core values based on that premise.
- The Manager of Government Affairs is responsible for managing and building relationships with key stakeholders in Washington DC in support of AARs operations, public policy objectives and business development objectives.
- This position will support the Company’s trade association membership, outreach to congressional offices, federal executive agencies, and partners in support of the Company’s business and policy goals.
- He or she will report to the VP of Public Affairs and work with business units and develop partnerships with third-party organizations and professionals as needed.
- He or she will work in a collaborative manner with the VP Public Affairs and the Company’s Washington DC based government affairs and communications consultants.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with VP of Public Affairs on outreach and relationship building strategies to support business development and sales for AAR.
- Build relationships and work closely with the business units to increase awareness of AAR CORPs brand and capabilities among federal government and industry stakeholders.
- Implement strategies to disseminate information concerning business relevant public policy developments.
- Build relationships and work closely with aviation policy staff for key members of Congress.
- Provide direction/support to AARs outside government affairs/business representatives/lobbyist and serve as a liaison for them to AARs business units.
- Commitment to company values and ethics.
- Analytical skills must be able to gather information and use data to determine cause and effect for complex problem solving
- Problem solving ability to develop and implement new ideas to improve processes.
- Project management ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and effectively deal with tight deadlines.
- Initiative plans work and carries out tasks without detailed instructions, prepares for problems or opportunities in advance, undertakes additional responsibilities.
EDUCATION and or EXPERIENCE:
- The successful candidate will have strong communications skills, sound judgment and demonstrated ability in successfully developing and strategically managing relationships with elected officials and with governments at the federal, state and local levels in support of a company’s business objectives.
- Two plus years of experience in government affairs.
- Four year undergraduate degree required.
- Law degree or graduate degree preferred.
- Outstanding networking skills and knowledge of how governments work.
- Client-oriented mindset with an ability to work closely with and support key corporate partners and business group leaders and their teams.
- Ability to operate in a very fast paced environment with multiple high-level priorities.
- Strong writing and problem solving skills.
- Strong ability to network and develop relationships with elected officials, government agencies and in business and strategically leverage those relationships to meet business goals.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach and move about the facility. The environmental characteristic for this position is an office setting. Candidates should be able to adapt to a traditional business environment.
Learn more here
Equal Opportunity Employer Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Job posted: 2019-05-15