Government Affairs Manager/Lobbyist
APCO Worldwide, Inc. is seeking a full-time Government Affairs Manager/Lobbyist to represent clients in Washington, D.C. The individual will be responsible for developing, leading and implementing government affairs and lobbying strategies for our clients. The individual will act as the primary contact between clients, Congress and the Administration. A successful candidate also will assist firm leadership in driving business development strategies and growth.
- Develop and implement ongoing government affairs plans for clients.
- Establish, develop and maintain effective bipartisan working relationships with Members of Congress, the federal executive branch and other national policymakers and influencers.
- Monitor federal policies and legislation, develops strategies and approaches for effective advocacy, and researches, analyzes, and evaluates federal issues, legislation, rules and regulations; and works collaboratively with APCO Government Affairs team in support of client and client objectives.
- Provide analysis, updates and briefing and position papers on developments related to assigned issue areas.
- Draft documents, including policy memos, talking points, correspondence to Congress and federal agencies, and other research documents as needed on federal legislative, administrative, regulatory and policy issues.
- Develop effective proposals and submissions for clients including, but not limited to, briefing notes, alerts, correspondence and memos.
- Register under the Lobbying Disclosure Act (LDA) and Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA) as necessary/required under the law and APCO policy.
- Organize and facilitate meetings and events for clients and the firm.
- Attract and retain new clients to the firm.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3-5 years professional lobbying experience involving government relations at federal level and/or on Capitol Hill and/or in Federal Executive Branch.
- Experience in public policy advocacy at the federal level or experience in legislative or executive branch work at the federal level or Capitol Hill lobbying experience or combination of the above qualifies.
- Proven federal legislative advocacy skills, and clear understanding of federal legislative and regulatory process. Background in energy, environment, transportation, tech/telecom or healthcare issues a plus.
- Ability to engage in government affairs work critically and constructively on behalf of a
wide variety of clients, including small and large businesses, multi-national companies, NGOs, trade associations and municipalities.
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills, be able to work successfully in a team environment, and have proven ability to work independently and collaboratively on internal and external teams, and exercise sound professional judgment.
- Demonstrated high-level and effective interpersonal skills, including ability to establish and maintain effective bipartisan working relationships.
- Ideal candidate will be entrepreneurial, comfortable in a fast-paced and fluid environment, and attentive to detail; and possess proven flexibility and effectiveness in handling multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing conditions.
- Candidates must be able to participate in developing nuanced proposals and prospecting of new clients.
- Experience in media relations would be an asset.
- Candidate will be based in the APCO Washington, D.C. office.
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many top Fortune 500 companies. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-13