Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government Affairs Manager or Senior Manager
The US-China Business Council (USCBC) is a private, non-profit, membership organization of more than 270 American companies that do business with China. Founded in 1973 following the first formal exchanges between the United States and China by a group of interested companies, USCBC’s mission is to expand the US-China commercial relationship to the benefit of its membership, and more broadly, the US economy. Through close collaboration between offices in Washington, DC, Beijing, and Shanghai, USCBC provides extensive China-focused information, business advisory, and public policy advocacy services, along with events, to its multinational member companies.
USCBC’s US Government Affairs (GA) team in Washington, DC seeks a full-time Manager or Senior Manager (depending on experience level), reporting to the Vice President of Government Affairs. This mid-level position will play a key role in the GA team’s US legislative and Executive Branch advocacy efforts, gather information from US government sources and conduct research on policy trends in the US-China commercial relationship, help prepare for and participate in key external meetings and events with USCBC members and US government officials, produce policy and regulatory analysis related to US government actions, and fulfill other duties as needed.
- Collaborate with USCBC staff colleagues in developing USCBC advocacy positions and advocate those positions to Congress and the Executive Branch;
- Provide breaking information and analysis to USCBC members and staff colleagues on policy developments that affect companies doing business with China, with a focus on the US Congress and Executive Branch;
- Research, analyze, write, and speak on government affairs and policy issues, including trade data analysis;
- Advise USCBC members, disseminate information, and organize programs on business, economic, and trade topics;
- Prepare backgrounders and talking points for USCBC meetings with legislative and Executive Branch officials;
- Conduct research to support the weekly Washington Update newsletter and write pieces for the Washington Update newsletter and biweekly China Market Intelligence newsletter;
- Proactively work with colleagues to recruit new members, and meet and document regular engagement with assigned retention targets;
- Complete expense reports, retention follow-up, and other administrative tasks fully and by required deadlines;
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the direct supervisor.
- Knowledge of US-China economic and commercial issues, US foreign policy and international trade issues, and/or US export control and sanctions policies;
- Foundational understanding of international economics and business terminology;
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- Undergraduate degree and 3 to 5 years or more experience working in or with US Congress or Executive Branch agencies preferred;
- Degree in China studies, international relations, political science, economics, public policy, or related subject preferred;
- Strong policy and regulatory research and analytical skills;
- Deadline sensitive and proven record of meeting performance metrics;
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills; sense of humor and ability to work within a small team;
- US permanent work authorization (US citizen or lawful permanent resident).
US-China Business Council is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Application Deadline: September 5, 2022.
Start Date: Position is open until filled, with an estimated start date of late September.
To apply, please submit the following materials to Rory Murphy (email@example.com) and reference “GA Manager or Senior Manager” in the subject line of your email:
- A resume and cover letter explaining your qualifications for the position;
- An English writing sample of no more than five pages
Salary will be competitive for non-profit organizations and commensurate with experience. For background on USCBC, see www.uschina.org.
Job posted: 2022-08-29