Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government Affairs Manager, US Federal
First Mode is a carbon reduction company developing creative, clean energy solutions for heavy industry’s toughest problems.
We hope you’ll join us in building a brighter future for people and planet.
First Mode is initially focused on decarbonizing the root of the supply chain for global economic activity: the mining sector. We are working to deploy megawatt-class hydrogen-battery systems in ultra-class haul trucks at major global mine sites, in addition to providing site infrastructure for hydrogen production, refueling, and other critical system elements. As we work to meet this challenge, we will also be evaluating other areas of heavy industry to tackle.
We are seeking a Government Affairs Manager, US Federal to lead a key area of our engagement with government. Help us work collaboratively with government-related entities to decarbonize heavy industry in the US and around the world. Come be a part of this mission and build a brighter future for people and planet.
- Cultivate a robust network of government-related stakeholders, including the US Congress, the White House, Department of Energy, State Department, and other entities. Develop and implement strategy to activate this network to further company objectives.
- Maintain exceptional situational awareness of the existing government and policy landscape. Identify areas where company action can mitigate risks or create opportunities and execute subsequent engagement campaigns.
- Insert First Mode into existing policy initiatives and work to align them with company priorities. Design and implement innovative, company-led policy initiatives.
- Lead First Mode’s engagement with relevant industry associations including the National Mining Association and the Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Energy Association.
- Identify government trends related to business, technology, sustainability, and other areas. Advise on how the company should cultivate its own positions to support the development of thought leadership campaigns.
- Continuously survey the landscape for government funding opportunities and oversee subsequent capture campaigns.
- Advise on regulatory strategy related to capital project development, product deployment, and other areas of company operations.
- Represent the company in stakeholder meetings, at events, speaking opportunities, and in other settings.
- 4+ years of government or government-adjacent experience related to technology, energy, and/or business
- Previous experience working in both the government and in the commercial sector
- Previous experience in government stakeholder engagement, federal agencies, policymaking and legislative activities, government-related business development, and/or international relations
- Previous experience in the mining, clean technology, and/or clean energy sector
- Exceptional track record in navigating government processes and engaging with government entities, including demonstrated success in complex and/or time-sensitive initiatives involving agencies, lawmakers, industry, and/or other stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technical subjects quickly and converse effectively with technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Impeccable writing skills and an ability to communicate information to diverse audiences
- Willingness to travel within the United States and internationally
- This position will be located at First Mode’s headquarters in Seattle, WA and will be required to work in office >60% of working hours
Base Salary Range: $103,000 – $140,000
Benefits & Perks
- Annual bonus incentive
- Equity-based awards
- 100% employer-paid health insurance (medical, dental, vision)
- 401(k) retirement account with a 3% employer contribution from the start of employment
- Flexible PTO with 12 weeks of supplementary paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits (parking & public transportation)
- A culture that encourages professional growth with learning and development reimbursements
- Open and collaborative workspace with free office snacks and lunches
- Hybrid work model
First Mode is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with First Mode is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-05-21