Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government Affairs Manager (Water & Environment)
Government Affairs Manager
American Public Works Association (APWA), a 501c (3) organization serving professionals in all aspects of public works through education and credentialing opportunities, seeks a Government Affairs Manager to join the Government Affairs team in our Washington, D.C. office. This position manages and implements government affairs priorities, goals, and objectives primarily focused on water resources, solid waste, sustainability, environmental management, and other related public works issues.
About the Government Affairs Manager Role:
The Manager represents APWA and the public works community by serving as an advocate and lobbyist before Congress, federal agencies, coalitions, and external groups. They will seek opportunities for members to engage with key Congressional offices, and to provide Congressional testimony; will monitor, analyze, and assist the Government Affairs team and members in influencing legislative and regulatory issues of concern for public works; draft public policy positions in conjunction with the Government Affairs team and APWA members; and prepare articles and updates on current legislative and regulatory issues for the association.
What you will need to succeed:
- At minimum, a Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) in political science, public administration, public policy/legislative affairs, environmental science, or related field
- At minimum, 7 years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Customer/member-services oriented.
- Strong computer skills using Office 365 programs
- Some travel is required, including some weekends.
What will differentiate you:
- Leadership: the desire to take initiative and actively contribute to the team and association
- Communication: the ability to communicate effectively and professionally with all levels of individuals including volunteers
- Commitment to service: prioritizing ownership and resolution for each contact
- Experience: Experience working on Capitol Hill and/or in environmental and public works advocacy is preferred.
Why APWA? Check out our benefits!
We offer remote hybrid work schedules, excellent health, dental and vision insurance programs, matching retirement benefits, a 37.5 hour work week with the opportunity to have 2 Fridays a month off. APWA also invests in the APWA staff with professional development opportunities, leave time and a flexible work culture.
We’re proud of the work we do because our work matters. Every role at APWA contributes to advancing the quality of life for others as we support those who operate, improve, and maintain public works and infrastructure. With supporting over 30,000 members across North America, we’re always looking for motivated and inspiring people to join us.
More information about our organization may be found at www.apwa.net.
Apply now for APWA’s Government Affairs Manager position at https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/1010222
Job posted: 2022-04-21