Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government Affairs Mgr – 90302457
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
There are 2 positions available: 1 in Chicago and 1 in Seattle
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Responsible for developing positive relationships with state and local governments – particularly governors, state departments of transportation, mayors, and state legislators – and key business and stakeholder groups, congressional offices, and community-based organizations.
1. Advancing and advocating Amtrak’s national legislative agenda.
• Developing positive relationships with key political and transportation leaders in each of the states in the territory.
• Working passionately at the grassroots level to develop support for Amtrak’s services in the communities Amtrak serves, particularly with mayors, business groups and other community leaders.
2. Supporting Amtrak’s goals and initiatives for the Long Distance, State Supported and NEC business lines.
• Articulate Amtrak’s legislative goals, statutory requirements and positions on pending legislation, including both authorization and appropriations matters to governors, state departments of transportation, mayors, congressional district staff, state legislators and their staffs.
• Knowledge of the requirements of the Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act and its relationship to states.
• Frequent, proactive outreach to key staff and members of appropriate oversight committees in various state legislatures.
• Preparing testimony, written and oral, for oversight hearings on Amtrak at the state and local level
3. Establishing relations with state and local policymakers founded on the highest standards of integrity, honesty, credibility and reliability.
4. Collaborating with Amtrak departments, including but not limited to Planning, Communications, Engineering, and Operations staff and operating Divisions to resolve issues that arise in your territory and to answer questions posed by state and local leaders, Departments of Transportation or congressional offices.
5. Outreach and advocacy to Amtrak stakeholders, interest groups, Amtrak employees and other constituents regarding support for Amtrak’s legislative and congressional agenda.
6. Monitoring state and local legislation as necessary and serve as the “point person” for reporting on assigned territory’s legislative issues to senior management, the federal government affairs office, employee groups, and key stakeholder organizations and advocates. This requires keeping abreast on legislative activities of relevance to assigned territory.
7. Provides guidance and mentoring to staff to foster team building and create a positive work environment.
• Bachelor’s Degree required or equivalent combination of training, education, and relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree, including legislative, policy or related experience in rail transportation.
• 7 years of relevant experience required
• Ability to manage competing priorities and the confidence to make decisions with little or no direct management oversight.
• Superior oral and written communication skills, the highest integrity, and an ability to succeed under intense time pressures.
• A full understanding of railroad issues and Amtrak history.
• Willingness to travel (as much as 50%).
• 9+ years of relevant experience preferred
• Knowledge of state and/or federal appropriations and legislative procedures and experience in intergovernmental affairs strongly preferred.
• Advanced degree in a related field.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Posting Location(s):Washington; Illinois
Job Family/Function:Government Affairs
Travel Requirements:Up to 50%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-01-03