Government Affairs Navigator
Compassionate Care ALS (CCALS)
West Falmouth, MA
Full Job Description
CCALS Government Affairs Liaison ALS Patient, Family, Caregiver, Client Responsibilities
- Assist ALS families in determining which insurance programs they qualify for, and guide them in gathering, preparing, and proof reading documents for state and federal insurance coverage (Medicare and Medicaid), and SSDI applications.
- Advise on Medicare options including Original and Medicare Advantage
- Identify other governmental programs that may be available to ALS families, including premium assistance, prescription assistance, Extra Help.
- Review and interpret private insurance, short and long term disability policies; assist in decisions to terminate insurance and assess impact on disability income (SSDI, LTD).
- Help families complete Disability Supplement application forms and review completed forms prior to sending to UMASS Disability Evaluation Services.
- Maintain strong connections with key players at MassHealth and UMass DES in order to expedite applications.
- Create progress and results reports of completed initiatives.
- Research and apply for grants that may benefit ALS families and cover uninsured services and DME.
Advocacy for Families
- Attend advocacy meetings as needed
- Attend routine CAC and SHINE trainings and meetings
- Work with state and federal government to advocate on behalf of ALS patients
- Assist in planning and submitting appeals for denied services, medications, and equipment
- 4-year degree required
- Maintain active CAC and SHINE Certifications
- Experience with MassHealth ACA, SACA*, and CommonHealth applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask
- Ability to navigate stressful situations while providing calm and reassurance to ALS families
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Docs, and general CRM database management
- Self-starter, able to take initiative and manage workload independently
- Ability to demonstrate self-care in a fast-paced, high-intensity, environment
- Work experience with people living with disabilities preferred
- Ability to engage and support people diagnosed with a fatal disease
- Relevant experience working with end of life/disabled populations
Job Type: Full-time
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Job posted: 2021-11-15