Government Affairs and Outreach Specialist
About the job
Job Title: Government Affairs and Outreach Specialist
Reports to: Director of Government Affairs
Department: Government Affairs
Status: Salaried, Exempt
The Master Builders Association of King and Snohomish Counties (MBAKS) was founded in 1909 by a group of Seattle builders who saw a need to unite to address the many concerns and issues affecting the housing industry. They shared technology and jointly solved construction problems.
Today, MBAKS is the largest local homebuilders association in the United States. From builders to material suppliers, we are a membership organization that works on behalf of companies in every aspect of the home building industry. Our members continue to take an active role in all facets of home construction in the Puget Sound region and are dedicated to providing a wide range of housing choices, including affordable options for the important first-time buyer market. We are the professional home builders, architects, remodelers, suppliers, manufacturers, and sales and marketing professionals in your community who believe homeownership should be in reach of every American. We strive to be the most respected and trusted source for housing related expertise in the Puget Sound region.
Throughout the years, we’ve learned that people do business with those they know, like, and trust. These traits embody who we are and are a huge part of what makes marketing with MBAKS so uniquely powerful.
Our spacious, light-filled office is conveniently located in Bellevue, Washington. Our 37 employees enjoy many benefits and perks, including a free on-site gym, healthy snacks, and free off-street parking. We offer competitive salary and bonuses; health, vision, dental insurance; a 401K plan with matching; and a generous PTO package.
The Role: Government Affairs and Outreach Specialist
Reporting to the Director of Government Affairs, this position serves as a day-to-day government affairs specialist for MBAKS efforts in King and Snohomish counties. The work will vary, but the focus will be working with cities on governmental, legislative, and regulatory issues as they relate to the homebuilding industry and our members.
The role will also address other duties within the Master Builders Government Affairs team as they arise. Various roles include intergovernmental coordination with state agencies or implementing programs to help educate municipal governments on issues related to the housing industry. The role will also support and supplement the efforts of the government affairs team.
Our Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate for this position would have a sense of curiosity about the homebuilding industry, housing/zoning policy, local/state government, and our members. Individuals with nontraditional backgrounds and work experience are encouraged to apply.
Core Responsibilities (More about the role):
· Outreach to elected officials and municipal staff in King and Snohomish counties.
· Support the member-driven candidate interview process for the Affordable Housing Council PAC.
· Support the implementation of the Evergreen Campaign Institute, the organization’s campaign training program.
· Support the operations of the Coalition for More Housing Choices, a multi-organization coalition dedicated to finding creative solutions to address region’s affordable housing shortage.
· Maintain awareness of key priorities, proposed legislation, and regulation in assigned jurisdictions that may affect the homebuilding, remodeling, and development industries.
· Member outreach and management of the government affairs member database.
· Help create content for the government affairs social media work.
· Collect and maintain databases for various metrics followed by the government affairs staff.
· Support state lobbying efforts including helping to organize our annual “Hill Day.”
· Other duties as assigned.
This description is intended to provide an overview of the responsibilities and duties of this position. It is not all-inclusive. The responsibilities may change over time. As this is a newly created position, there is opportunity to help shape the role.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, and Characteristics:
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
· Strong interest or experience in housing policy issues
· Exceptional attention to detail
· Independent starter with a strong work ethic and willingness to collaborate
· Strong relationship builder with high degree of integrity, responsiveness, and reliability
· Exceptional verbal and written communications skills coupled with outstanding listening skills
· Technical proficiency and expertise in using a wide range of communications applications, including Microsoft Office products, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and willingness to learn and master Aptify (our association management system/member database) and Smartsheet (project management system)
This position does not have current supervisory responsibilities, but the incumbent may be assigned supervisory duties depending upon MBAKS needs.
Master Builders Association of King and Snohomish Counties is an Equal Opportunity Employer
This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.
Master Builders Association of King and Snohomish Counties does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-22