Government Affairs Policy Counsel/Advocate
Position Summary: The Government Affairs Policy Counsel/Advocate will play a key role in implementing Public Knowledge’s government affairs strategy through advocacy, strategy development, and relationship building in Congress, at Federal agencies, within the Executive Branch, and across the public interest field.
Position Status: Full-time
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Director of Government Affairs
- Assist in developing and implementing Public Knowledge’s advocacy strategy and approach to Capitol Hill on issues such as net neutrality, platform accountability, content moderation and free expression, broadband deployment and affordability, spectrum, copyright reform, and other technology policy issues that affect consumers
- Obtain up to date information on technology legislative matters before Congress
- Meet with key policymakers at the Federal Communications Commission, Federal Trade Commission, the White House, Congress and elsewhere to build support for Public Knowledge’s priorities
- Convene and work in coalitions with various stakeholder groups to develop priorities and strategies
- Research and draft congressional testimony for legislative hearings on telecommunications/technology policy issues and help prepare witnesses for hearings
- Serve as a resource to allies and other non-D.C. based groups in building advocacy strategy and relationships with policymakers
- Coordinate development of Public Knowledge advocacy materials
- Serve as a spokesperson and resource to the media within areas of expertise
- A college graduate with a passion for public policy, knowledge and interest in technology, and a demonstrated interest in the political process and advocacy in the public interest
- Law or other Graduate degree a plus
- Three or more years of experience with Capitol Hill, Federal agencies, or other relevant policy‐related experience
- Familiarity with legislative efforts on technology policy preferred
- Experience conducting legislative or issue advocacy and developing partnerships with a wide range of organizations and constituencies
- Experience drafting legal/advocacy documents such as briefs and model legislation preferred
- Full comprehension of the influences of the regulatory and government agencies
- Demonstrated ability to create advocacy strategies
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Sound judgment and ability to analyze situations and information
- Strong communications skills
- A creative self-starter who can devise new, innovative outreach methods
- A willingness and ability to learn complex technological and legal issues quickly
- The ability to produce high-quality results on tight deadlines and with little oversight
Compensation: Base salary from $65,000 – $80,000 depending on experience, plus excellent benefits and opportunities for professional growth.
To Apply: Send a resume, cover letter stating your interest in Public Knowledge, and a writing sample (maximum five pages each) to: email@example.com, with the subject line “Government Affairs Policy Counsel/Advocate.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, starting on October 5. Candidates are encouraged to apply early. Position will be open until filled.
Job posted: 2020-10-06