The successful candidate will be responsible for managing the Company’s state government affairs activities in assigned states (the U.S. Northeast and Mid-Atlantic Region), including lobbying legislators, key state administrative officials, regulators, and managing contractors and trade associations to positively influence policy. The manager will coordinate with Business leaders and Government Affairs team on behalf of the company and will lead efforts on critical government policy issues in region and where needed more broadly.
- Highly knowledgeable about the political, economic and social factors affecting public policy decision making. Ability to effectively engage with senior company leaders and develop and implement a targeted executive advocacy program.
- Monitor legislative and other public policy issues and business opportunities of priority to the company.
- Develop and implement strategies and tactics for outreach, advocacy and market positioning aimed at achieving most beneficial solutions for company or minimizing the negative impact of public policy decisions.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key policy makers, staff and third party thought leaders. Leverage constituent relationships. Propose candidates for political contributions and serve as company interface.
- Participate in the development of company positions and strategies for advocating positions with political officials, external public policy organizations and other stakeholder groups.
- Facilitate interactions by business and functional representatives with key policy officials, including advising on testimony before legislative committees to present positions on pending legislation, regulatory proposals, and policy debates.
- Influence/shape policies and positions of trade associations and business councils by serving on or leading key committees. Participate in broad coalitions on priority public policy issues.
- Prepare and submit lobbying reports as required. Participate in the development and implementation of budgets for expenses related to lobbying activities, trade association memberships and political contributions.
Develops and implements strategies and tactics to support all aspects of government relations in assigned area. Leads the development and implementation of integrated lobbying strategies and manages resources such as external agencies and budgets.
Leads activities of outside business organizations and consultants with respect to advocacy involving key administrative officials or regulators to advance business goals and positively influence the political arena.
Serves as a resource to internal businesses/functions. Coordinates with entire External Affairs team.
5 years of demonstrated experience with a range of environmental, agricultural, fiscal, and business issues.
- Existing knowledge of and relationships in the state of Delaware.
- Previous direct government affairs experience, including direct lobbying.
- Preferred experience working for state or federal legislative body or regulatory agency.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the political, economic, and social environment in applicable region.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to represent company views and positions with external audiences, especially legislators and administrative policy makers at the state level.
- Demonstrated ability to network with others involved in Government Affairs, Regulatory Affairs and Public Affairs activities involving government policy issues.
- Demonstrated proficiency in written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with very diverse groups.
Core Competencies – Analysis and Judgment, Communicating with Impact, Setting Strategy and Direction, Driving Execution, Teamwork/Collaboration, Decision Making, Engagement, Build Sustainable Customer Relationships, Business Acumen, Embracing Change, Innovation, Managing for Productivity.
Learn more here
Job Posted: September 12, 2017