Government Affairs Program Manager or Sr. Manager
POSITION SUMMARY (Brief summary of job purpose):
- Plan and implement stakeholder relations strategies, focusing on government stakeholders as well as clinician, patient, and other civil society groups influential in policy discussions relevant to Medtronic.
- Manage government affairs to seek opportunity for working with government for better market access of Medtronic therapies and services, and also facilitate the realization of these opportunities.
- To advocate and shape government policy in relation to health and other policy areas as necessary to improve outcomes for patients and advance the opportunities for Medtronic solutions.
- To analyze government policy directions and advise the Medtronic Japan Leadership Team on opportunities and threats arising.
- To write policy proposals and issue specific advocacy plans.
- To provide assistance on government advocacy and policy issues as required.
- To identify and execute on thought leadership opportunities
- Lead, direct and manage Value-Based Health Care (VBHC) program initiative to transform Japan’s health policy into value-oriented ecosystem
- Manage comprehensive health policy and industry relevant issues impacting to Medtronic business, reporting to the head of Healthcare Economics and Government Affairs.
- Develop and solidify the relationship with stakeholders, focusing on Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare (MHLW), Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), Cabinet Office, Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices Agency (PMDA), Diet, embassies, NGOs, patient advocacy groups, media, and so on.
- Manage and implement projects/programs to affect the policy relevant to Medtronic across business and patient access directly/indirectly in collaboration with the external/internal stakeholders such as American Medical Devices and Diagnostics Manufacturers’ Association (AMDD), American Chamber of Commerce in Japan (ACCJ), United States and Japan Business Council (USJBC) and so on.
- Build a strong network of relationships with other stakeholders relevant to the Interests of Medtronic.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to investigate the environment, plan the solutions, and discuss assignment of BU/functional roles in implementation.
- Provide counsel and support to business-unit management regarding health policy environment, legislation trends, and stakeholder mapping, etc.
- Research and write policy papers and proposals in order to shape the development of government policy to improve outcomes for healthcare consumers.
- Monitor the trends and activities of the ministries and legislators.
- Manage and support employees involved in governmental affairs projects for their talent development.
- Manage external partners/vendors involved in governmental affairs projects.
- Support Medtronic leaders in their interactions with government, including providing introductions, advice, briefings and support during meetings.
- Support reimbursement activities with skills/knowledge of government relations.
- Identify opportunities for Medtronic to display thought leadership in key Medtronic policy areas such as Value Based Healthcare and collaborate with appropriate internal stakeholders to execute.
- Other duties and tasks as may be required from time to time
- Experience in working in medical technology and pharmaceutical industry (preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work on cross-functional teams
- Knowledge of other related disciplines such as health policy, regulatory affairs, reimbursement, marketing, product Development, clinical research, media, risk management, etc. (preferred)
- Strong oral and written communication skills including English
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Computer skills (MS Office products, word processing, spreadsheets)
- Ability to manage multiple tasks thorough understanding of health policy, media industry and patient advocacy groups (preferred)
- Good sense of politics
- Work effectively on cross-functional teams
- Effective communications, especially advocacy of policy positions, explanations of policy and business issues
- Postgraduate degree (MS, MPH, MBA) in a relevant field.
- Healthcare industry experience is highly desirable.
- Business to government experience particularly in healthcare would be a significant advantage.
- Model Medtronic Leadership Expectations & Behaviours:
o Shape: Committed to being experts in what we do, with a clear vision of where we are going and the plan to get there – Thinks critically and makes sound decisions by engraining “patients, people and profits” as the way we prioritize & drive decision making
o Engage: Partner with others knowing that diverse talent, skills & perspectives lead to better outcomes – foster an environment of diversity, inclusion and engagement.
o Innovate: Bold thinker who creates new ideas and bring out best solutions forward to benefit our patients, and customers – generate breakthrough ideas by creating an environment that supports experimentation, and responsible risk taking
o Achieve: We do what we say we are going to do, delivering results with the highest standards – drive accountability, start by establishing your personal brand, for delivering results.
- An understanding of the codes under which we operate, for example
o Medtronic’s Business Conduct Standards, Code of Conduct and Anti-Corruption Policy
o Industry code of practice (e.g. AMDD in Japan)
- Excellent interpersonal skills, professional presentation, written and verbal communications
- Customer focused
- Highly developed people management skills – ability to lead, manage and motivate by example
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic relationships/partnerships and communicate concepts with key influencers
- Ability to build effective relationships with senior executives and different levels of organizational hierarchy
- Well-honed negotiation and influencing skills
- Self-motivated, strong winning spirit, positive, confident and assertive
- Demonstrated effective matrix skills (crosses geography’s and divisions)
- Can deliver a customer focused service to internal and external customers
- Can work autonomously but is also a team player
- Demonstrated ability to work with organizational decision makers (internal/external)
- Proactive relationships with customers, payers and healthcare providers
- Entrepreneurial outlook
- Resilient and persistent
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum 10 years in Government Affairs or PR/Communication or Health Policy / Reimbursement
experience (total career of minimum 15 years)
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile.
- The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers.
- Must be able to travel independently to various Medtronic and other buildings/sites.
- Some out of hours work will be required
- Must be able to frequently travel domestically and internationally
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-04-28