Government Affairs and Public Policy Manager, Search
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of experience working on technology policy issues within government, think tanks, public interest groups or relevant industry associations.
- Experience at a technology company, NGO or similar organization managing projects with technology policy issues with international implications.
- Experience working on tech public policy issues relating to privacy, competition and/or controversial content. Broad familiarity with Internet technologies and the surrounding policy environments.
- Experience managing corporate transparency initiatives for government and public policy stakeholders.
- Ability to evaluate issues independently in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated experience advising product or engineering teams.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in a fast-paced and ambiguous environment.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, with the ability to collaborate with multiple cross-functional teams simultaneously.
About the job
As a member of Google’s Government Affairs and Public Policy team, you’ll be part of a diverse global government affairs team, working across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Google to bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You’re passionate about the opportunity to shape the future of how we use and build technology for everyone.
Google Search has come a long way since we started in 1998, but our mission of providing greater access to information remains our fundamental focus. We’ve grown to serve people all over the world, offering Search in more than 150 languages and over 190 countries, and we continue to strive to make information more accessible and useful every single day.
Google takes its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) team leads the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Google leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. While we focus on challenges affecting the internet, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology intersect.
- Develop and lead public policy strategy on key projects and initiatives for Google Search, including working with a cross-functional team to design Google’s policy positions and strategies to support our global business objectives, and drive favorable policy and regulatory outcomes.
- Manage policy projects on a host of challenges affecting Google Search product offerings, including privacy, competition, misinformation and controversial content issues.
- Work closely with Product, Business, Engineering and other teams across Google to advise on product development and emerging issues impacting Google Search and internet users globally.
- Work within a global team to develop public policy strategies and positions for Google’s core products, including the creation of materials supporting advocacy on those positions.
- Engage directly with policymakers, industry players and key opinion formers to shape policy and political dialogue on tech policy issues impacting Search.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-04-27