We serve the world by making food people love. As one of the world’s leading food companies, General Mills believes that food should make us better. Food brings us joy and nourishes our lives, connecting us to each other and the earth. General Mills operates in more than 100 countries and markets more than 100 consumer brands, including Cheerios, Häagen-Dazs, Nature Valley, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Annie’s, Lara Bar, Yoplait and more. Headquartered in Minneapolis, General Mills had global net sales of US$17.6 billion during fiscal 2015.
We seek out the best talent, and then give them development resources, support and the chance to lead something big. Choosing a career with General Mills means joining a company where you can make a difference in the lives of millions of people. There is tremendous opportunity here for individuals who want to advance food through innovation and serve the world.
The Government Affairs Representative serves as a company advocate with government and other important stakeholders. This position manages a range of legislative/policy issues and political projects on behalf of General Mills with a clear strategic and results-oriented focus.
- Analyze impact of relevant legislative and regulatory proposals on the company and help develop a plan for engagement;
- Serve as liaison between internal company clients, trade associations, third-party partners (advocacy groups, other corporate representatives), and elected/appointed policy makers;
- Develop and maintain strong relationships and serve as a company advocate with elected/appointed policy makers, external stakeholder groups and trade associations;
- Represent the company on various work groups/committees with industry and trade associations;
- Support the Vice President of Government Relations to identify emerging policy issues, set priorities and develop an effective strategy for company engagement;
- Support management of the company’s Political Action Committee;
- Represent the company at political fundraising events;
- Support grassroots engagement program;
- Some travel required;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Seven to ten plus years of professional experience – could include work on Capitol Hill, federal agency, state and/or federal affairs work and/or trade association;
- Strong political and legislative experience;
- Keen understanding of the political campaign/electoral process;
- Problem solving skills, sound judgment and strategic thinker;
- Strong communication and advocacy skills;
- Strong writing skills;
- Ability to delve into complex issues;
- Effective team player and ability to work independently;
- Leadership and initiative;
- Demonstrated results-orientation;
- Adaptability in an ever-changing environment;
- Mature, credible, responsive, positive attitude.
Job Posted: February 25, 2017