Government Affairs Representative, Advanced
This position in the State Government & Public Affairs – East organization will be primarily focused on local engagement in Detroit and other communities surrounding the Detroit refinery and in developing and implementing strategies to achieve local public policy goals. The position will also provide other government affairs support as needed in Michigan and Ohio.
- Provide support in the development and implementation of strategies for achieving local public policy goals and acts as liaison between local operational facilities and leadership team relative to local public policy issues.
- Assist in the development and implementation of consistent approach to strategic priorities for community relations, outreach, and philanthropic/charitable programs, and voluntary employee community involvement.
- Coordinate and ensure active participation in business trade organizations and civic groups that enhance public policy interests of company at the local level.
- Build and maintain relationships with local elected officials, community leaders and other key stakeholders in the area.
- Advise leadership of local governmental and community relations issues and coordinate with department lead to develop programs to maintain favorable perception of organization’s accomplishments and agenda.
- Provide support as needed by management regarding broader state government affairs responsibilities, including engagement with state and local elected officials on a variety of policy issues.
Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of eight years of corporate, government or public affairs experience; background in refining or environmental compliance a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; problemsolving, organizational, analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills, including ability to interact professionally with external stakeholders and internally at all organizational levels.
About Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Marathon Petroleum Corporation (MPC) is a leading, integrated, downstream energy company headquartered in Findlay, Ohio. The company operates the nation’s largest refining system with more than 3 million barrels per day of crude oil capacity across 16 refineries. MPC’s marketing system includes branded locations across the United States, including Marathon brand retail outlets. Speedway LLC, an MPC subsidiary, owns and operates retail convenience stores across the United States. MPC also owns the general partner and majority limited partner interests in two midstream companies, MPLX LP and Andeavor Logistics LP, which own and operate gathering, processing, and fractionation assets, as well as crude oil and light product transportation and logistics infrastructure.
Travel Expected: Up to 10%
Marathon Petroleum Company LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition or AIDS/HIV status, ancestry, national origin, genetic information, military, veteran status, marital status, citizenship or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, click here.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process at Marathon Petroleum LP, please contact our Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify the reasonable accommodation you are requesting, along with the job posting number in which you may be interested. A Human Resources representative will review your request and contact you to discuss a reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Veteran / Disability
Marathon Petroleum Company LP participates in the E-Verify program in some states in which it operates (including AL, AZ, GA, MS, NC, SC, TN, and UT). For more information before proceeding, please see details in English or Spanish. Right to Work Statement English or Spanish.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-06-19