Government Affairs Senior Director, Commercial Insurance Public Policy
Job Summary: Directing commercial insurance, individual market and health care reform policy issues
Cigna and its subsidiaries are health services providers with market-leading solutions in affordability, predictability and simplicity for all clients and customers. Reporting to the Managing Director of Global Public Policy. This position is primarily responsible for developing and articulating Cigna’s public policy positions and proposed solutions to issues in all commercial markets, including fully insured, self-funded, individual, small group, large group and on Exchange. Our overall policy solutions must drive affordability, predictability and simplicity for our clients and the system at large.
Issues in the portfolio include: the individual, large group and national health insurance markets, including health insurance exchanges, ERISA/ASO coverage, ancillary coverages and other cross-cutting policy issues. Activities include developing and implementing policy and positioning recommendations, legislative and regulatory analysis. The policy portfolio will contribute substantively to macro health care reform proposals.
The position requires candidates to be able to:
- Analyze, define and communicate critical insurance trends in legislative or regulatory environments; identify or predict likely legislative or regulatory outcomes.
- Provide proactive strategic counsel to senior business leadership anticipating legislative and regulatory trends and translating those into actionable business and legislative or regulatory solutions/strategy.
- Partner with business leadership to identify business risks and opportunities in external policy developments.
- Develop policy alternatives through discussion papers, white papers and related policy analysis as well as identify assets Cigna/ESI have to augment public policy positions such as: data; resources; subject matter experts; and corporate “thought leaders.”
- Prepare written communications including discussion documents and memos to gather internal input, develop consensus positions, and write comment letters, policy briefs, and talking points in support of Cigna’s policy and operations positions.
- Develop regulatory and legislative responses to proposed rules/laws.
- Assure philosophical consistency in policy approaches across the enterprise.
- Present views internally and to government officials and external groups.
- Provide commercial insurance business and client support.
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 10 years of policy setting experience in the healthcare field
- The candidate should have a strong and successful record of being a leader in policy setting environments such as on a relevant committee on Capitol Hill, in an Administration and/or in a relevant Agency or in-house with a corporation or trade association.
- Knowledge of/experience with health care system, ACA, ERISA are key to identify issues and develop appropriate policy responses.
- Ability to persuasively and concisely communicate complex concepts and programs at the highest levels of government and business.
- Executive presence and proven ability to clearly communicate to all audiences.
- Strong ability to analyze, understand and translate complex domestic and international policy issues across business lines and corporate concerns and understand how to communicate such issues to a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience working in highly regulated industry; a deep appreciation for the impact of policy outcomes on business results.
- Demonstrated experience in development and implementation of public policy function, including actionable strategies.
- Proven, effective oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a variety of Cigna management, field associates, retained counsel, legislators, regulators.
- Strong team player with the ability to both collaborate and work independently, as required.
- Keen judgment and ability to manage competing priorities.
- Creativity, flexibility and demonstrated excellent organizational skills.
- Strong client-service orientation; a bias for action and strong sense of urgency.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; a JD, MBA or Master’s degree in Public Health, Health Policy or Public Administration and/or related work experience preferred.
*This role will be in the DC office 2-3 days a week, with some remote flexibility.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to improving the health, well-being and peace of mind of those we serve. We offer an integrated suite of health services through Cigna, Express Scripts, and our affiliates including medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products. Together, with our 74,000 employees worldwide, we aspire to transform health services, making them more affordable and accessible to millions. Through our unmatched expertise, bold action, fresh ideas and an unwavering commitment to patient-centered care, we are a force of health services innovation.
When you work with Cigna, you’ll enjoy meaningful career experiences that enrich people’s lives while working together to make the world a healthier place. What difference will you make? To see our culture in action, search #TeamCigna on Instagram.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, age, disability, sex, childbirth (including pregnancy) or related medical conditions including but not limited to lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital or familial status, genetic information, status with regard to public assistance, citizenship status or any other characteristic protected by applicable equal employment opportunity laws.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing the online application process, please email: SeeYourself@cigna.com for support. Do not email SeeYourself@cigna.com for an update on your application or to provide your resume as you will not receive a response.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-08