Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government Affairs Senior Director
This Government Affairs Senior Director position serves as the Microsoft U.S. Government Affairs lead in advancing the Company’s U.S. Federal, State, and Local Government public policy positions on platform regulation, digital trust and safety, content moderation, intellectual property and open data, and related areas. This involves work with a host of areas and products including platforms and services, online search, journalism, and gaming,
As part of Microsoft’s team of senior policy experts in Washington, D.C., this individual works with others to shape the Company’s U.S. agenda in these areas and is responsible for the development and execution of strategies–including legislative and regulatory advocacy–necessary to achieve related goals. They work closely with Company executives and colleagues and represent Microsoft in discussions with policymakers, including Members of Congress and staff, Administration officials, and state- and local-level officials. The Senior Director also serves as Microsoft’s representative in leading industry associations and coalitions and engages with other non-governmental stakeholders.
- Provides strategic vision and leadership for developing and executing top-priority program frameworks for achieving policy and/or political goals.
- Leads the formation of Microsoft’s policy agenda and positions on a broad range of issues, including designing and executing strategic campaigns, and identifying strategic opportunities for Microsoft to advance its long-term goals.
- Provides advice and counsel to executive management on unusually complex and critical issues or matters of concern to Microsoft and the industry.
- Anticipates and addresses novel issues and opportunities facing Microsoft and/or the industry in a rapidly changing and ambiguous environment and leads the development of associated strategies.
- Directs strategies to ensure regulations and legislation positively impact Microsoft’s products, operations, associates, and customers by collaborating with coalitions and relevant interest groups to achieve desired regulatory or legislative outcomes; negotiates and aligns complex or conflicting policy with Microsoft’s goals and strategy; monitors and responds to complex regulatory issues and new policies.
Subject Matter Expertise and Influence
- Develops and implements strategies for leveraging partnerships with external partners and key influencers to significantly impact the advancement of Microsoft’s policy and/or political agenda.
- Maintains relationships with key influencers to gather and apply intelligence findings through a network of key senior executives and external stakeholders regarding highly strategic or sensitive issues affecting Microsoft’s long-term objectives or future issues.
- Advises and partners with senior executives and key/senior-level external stakeholders to gain buy-in on policy positions by providing expertise and strategic vision, and anticipating future issues; prepares senior and executive stakeholders for public testimony on complex issues.
- Provides thought leadership and/or champions cutting-edge initiatives and solutions that significantly impact the advancement of Microsoft’s long-term objectives and priorities.
- Leads efforts to create strategic partnerships and coalitions with highly complex governmental and non-governmental thought leaders (e.g., peer and industry organizations, think tanks, academics, businesses, community leaders) to align stakeholder interests to Microsoft and optimally position them as advocates for Microsoft policy, political, and business priorities; drives strategic long-term, meaningful relationships with key political leadership and/or trade/think tank organizations and looks for opportunities to partner on public policy issues.
- Provides thought leadership for identifying and unblocking potential regulatory issues that prevent access to market opportunities; strategically partners with the Public Sector and other key business/client leads.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, or related field AND 5+ years experience in government affairs, corporate affairs, public policy, or government.
- OR 8+ years experience in government affairs, corporate affairs, public policy, or government.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- 8+ years experience in developing and managing strategic relationships to advocate and influence public/technology policy priorities.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-11-15