Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government Affairs, Senior Manager
The Government Affairs, Senior Manager will work closely in collaboration with the Senior Director of Policy and Director of Regulatory Affairs to develop and implement CSE’s legislative and policy agendas. The Senior Manager will serve as a primary point of contact for legislators and legislative staff and will facilitate CSE’s legislative policy and government affairs activities. The Senior Mananager will assist the Senior Director of Policy in identifying and fulfilling CSE’s needs in the legislative and government affairs spheres; s/he will also provide the foundations for policy-related related outreach. The Senior Manager will work closely with policy and program staff to further specific program goals and enhance our organization’s reputation. Foremost of the duties of the Senior Manager is to support CSE’s key relationships at the California legislature on behalf of both our existing programs and new initiatives. This will involve establishing and maintaining communication and productive working relationships with legislative officials and staff and other key stakeholders. As a fundamental part of CSE’s policy work, the Senior Manager will track legislation and other government initiatives and lead preparation of legislative support/opposition letters, floor alerts, and government initiatives comments, and manage preparation of policy summaries, blog posts, and other materials for a variety of stakeholders.
Salary range: $106,000 – $141,000
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
· Coordinate the development of CSE’s legislative agenda
· Actively track key legislative efforts on Distributed Energy Resources, Clean Transportation, Climate Change, and other mission-related topics
· Assist in the development of CSE positions on specific legislative efforts in Distributed Energy Resources, Clean Transportation, Climate Change, and other mission-related areas
· Develop and maintain positive, productive relationships with political and elected officials and relevant stakeholder leaders
· Provide support to elected officials to define and develop legislative priorities and initiatives
· Collaborate and coordinate with relevant stakeholder groups on specific legislative initiatives
· Actively engage key regional and statewide stakeholders on issues of importance to CSE’s mission
· Develop regular legislative updates
· Monitor state legislative policy developments that are relevant to CSE; prepare written and oral reports interpreting and detailing these developments
· Represent CSE, its programs and policy positions in a variety of public and official forums
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· In-depth knowledge of state governmental and legislative processes
· Strong knowledge of, and relationships with, key networks in state government on issues related to sustainable energy and clean transportation
· Excellent skills in analyzing, understanding and translating complex legislative and policy issues in order to advise on pending legislation and changes in key government policy
· Direct experience with energy policy development and advocacy at the state level
· Excellent, efficient writing and editing abilities in the policy context
· Ability to communicate clearly, tactfully and persuasively to individuals and groups
· Proven networking abilities and a talent for coalition-building and ideation
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
· Proficiency with standard office software packages such as MS Office: Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
· Knowledge of CSE programs/projects
· Highly developed research skills; ability to find and synthesize information on specific energy topics, utilizing the widest variety of credible sources.
· In-depth knowledge of at least one energy-specific policy issue (preferably several)
· Discretion and independent judgment and the ability to work effectively under deadline
· Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously within sometimes challenging time constraints
Education and/or experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy or related discipline/coursework from a four-year college or university; Masters or Juris Doctorate Degree preferred; 5-9 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Computer and/or Technical Skills:
· Demonstrated fluency in using standard office software packages (MS Office: Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook).
· Familiar with standard office procedures, filing, telephone techniques and operation of office equipment.
· Advanced uses of word processing, spreadsheet, database and other standard software to create well-formatted documents and materials requiring interpretation and critical thought.
· Proficient in typing and good at spelling, punctuation, grammar, and oral communication.
License, Certificates or Registrations:
Valid California Driver’s License; insurable in the State of California. Must own a licensed and registered vehicle and be willing to use it for work-related purposes.
Job posted: 2023-01-05