Government Affairs Specialist
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us achieve our mission.
Microsoft recently launched a UN Affairs office to deepen Microsoft’s engagements and support for the UN’s mission. This includes representing the work of our team externally across the UN to promote cooperation to advance progress towards a more accessible and equitable digital environment and a healthier planet. We champion the role of technology to enable the UN and its agencies to achieve more in this decade of action. Our team is committed to engaging constructively with others and promoting multistakeholder projects that engage UN actors along with governments, civil society and our industry peers. A core function of our team is working with a variety of actors who seek to learn, share, and collaborate on solutions. To support this, work the team is seeking an experienced program manager to join our new and growing team in New York.
- Thinks strategically to develop detailed plans and comprehensive execution strategies for team priorities to achieve policy and program goals.
- Contributes to the formation of Microsoft’s policy and program agenda including assessing and proposing engagement strategies with internal and external stakeholders.
- Responds to issues by prioritizing, engaging relevant parties, and escalating matters or contacting a specialist, as appropriate.
- Manages the implementation of Microsoft’s strategic initiatives by directing collaboration between internal stakeholders and external influencers (e.g., UN officials, civil society, private sector and academia, among others); prepares and/or co-develops materials (e.g., strategy, policy briefings, coalition engagement, whitepapers, etc.) for outreach.
Subject Matter Expertise and Influence
- Shares, listens, and exchanges ideas with key stakeholders regarding Microsoft’s priority topics to advance the team’s mission with emphasis on topics that align with UN priorities.
- Gathers and integrates external/internal data and other intelligence to assist with the preparation of position papers, policy briefings, presentations, and external advocacy to UN bodies and related entities.
- Provides counseling on public policy and/or geo-political or cultural topics to business units related to specific product development or business plans.
- Contributes to and/or implements creative solutions for advancing Microsoft’s engagement with UN counterparts while problem-solving and managing risks and consequences.
- Ensures that Microsoft is represented in relevant external events and programming where relevant.
- Works with the UN Affair’s events manager to contribute ideas and content for internal and external events, including ideas for speakers and guests, drafting materials, and incorporating content and ideas for the team’s social media engagement.
- Collaborates with internal teams and colleagues to ensure there is a communications strategy in place.
- Establishes relationships with key UN stakeholders (e.g., UN officials, peer and industry organizations, think tanks, academics, businesses, community leaders), implements outreach strategies, and develops areas of alignment to execute shared priorities.
- Supports the execution of strategies and strategic projects that advance team objectives by deepening relationhips and cultivating shared positions across the UN system and with other relevant stakeholders.
- Leads, coordinates, and gains buy-in for intra-group and/or cross-group projects with execution exellency and leveraging project management approaches.
- Works with others to resolve cross-group priority conflicts and gain alignment across teams as needed to enable the achievement of shared business objectives.
- Collaborates with internal stakeholders to understand and align objectives, priorities, and resources.
Communication with internal and external audiences
- The ability to create and deliver formal presentations to others. This includes sharing information to internal and external audiences in a clear, concise, engaging and convincing manner; commanding the audience’s attention; and developing effective presentation materials (e.g., powerpoint, handouts, visual aids).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, or related field AND 2+ years experience in government affairs, corporate affairs, public policy, or government.
- OR 5+ years experience in government affairs, corporate affairs, public policy, or government.
- Experience or familiarity with the UN System and culture, multistakeholder engagements, and multilateral or international organizations more generally.
- 3+ years’ experience in developing and managing strategic relationships to advocate and influence public/technology policy priorities.
- Proven team player with exposure or experience to the UN, including demonstrated knowledge and understanding of some or all of the issues relevant to the work of the UN Affairs team such as: environmental sustainability, cybersecurity, human rights, and the role of digital technologies in accelerating progress on the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Master’s Degree.
- Multilingual is a plus.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-22