Government Affairs Specialist
About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About The Role
The Government Affairs team shares our story and our public policy goals with political leaders at the Federal, State and Local levels. This team advocates on key policy issues, such as trade, tax, workforce and sustainability. We are looking for a Government Affairs Specialist to join our Washington, D.C. team to provide administrative and logistical support to the Head of Government Affairs as well as to other members of the U.S.-based team. The Specialist will serve as central clearinghouse for all work products for the broader team, helping keep the team organized and on-task for our deliverables. This role will support the team in their efforts to shape federal, state and local public policy to ensure a sustainable business climate for our company while simultaneously promoting Gap Inc.’s mission to be Inclusive, by Design. Reporting directly to the Head of Government Affairs, this person will be an executer who looks several moves ahead and is a key contributor to the team’s overall mission. The succesful candidate will be proactive, interested to learn and engage on Gap’s policy issues, and eager to build relationships across the organization. A solid understanding of government affairs and public policymaking, strong organization, presentation, communication and writing skills are critical.
What You’ll Do
- Track, monitor, and summarize key developments on Capitol Hill and in the Administration (committee hearings and legislation or regulations that impact Gap Inc.)
- Manage all reporting and compliance obligations, including lobbying and PAC reporting and compliance
- Conduct research into legislative and regulatory proposals
- Prepare memos, presentations, and briefing materials for both internal and external meetings. PowerPoint skills are a plus.
- Assist in weekly, monthly, and quarterly updates on government affairs activities
- Manage administrative duties as it relates to scheduling, invoices and vendors
- Perform other duties as assigned to support the team
Who You Are
- Experience in government affairs, advocacy, public policy, campaigns, political action committees, advocacy, or related areas
- Clear, concise and compelling oral and written communication skills
- Ability to translate complex technical issues and communicate simply and powerfully
- Ability to interpret and analyze political developments, policy and legislative proposals
- Supports multiple projects simultaneously and able to track projects with varying deadlines
- Independent, self-starter with excellent time management skills, organization, and attention to detail
Benefits At Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-08-22