Government and Community Affairs Coordinator
The Coordinator will need to work across the entire organizations to understand the scope of our work and be in a strong position to support multiple departments at Philabundance. This primarily includes our Agency Relations, Food Sourcing, and Communication Departments.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for not only alleviating hunger but also the root causes. They will be committed to working to find policy solutions to Philabundance’s mission to relieve hunger today and end hunger for good.
This is an active position that will require travel to partner sites, Harrisburg,PA, Trenton,NJ and Washington D.C.
- Knowledge of nutrition or poverty related policies and programs
- Experience working in partnership with diverse audiences
- Capacity to explain complex information and issues in easy-to-understand manner
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to lead trainings and make presentations
- Demonstrate an understanding of diversity and cultural issues
- Support outreach to legislative offices in Philabundance service area
- Create and oversee trainings for Philabundance partners on advocacy
- Participate in coalition meetings
- Travel to sites for meetings with partners and legislators
- Prepare emails, postcards, petitions, and other items that can be used for people to take action
- Research and prepare briefing documents for meetings, events, or to educate about new issues
- Work across departments at Philabundance
- Support the Director of Government Affairs in other projects and work
- Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor degree or relevant work experience
- Minimum 2 years experience in advocacy, policy, or community based work
- Previous work in advocacy or communities in Pennsylvania or New Jersey is a plus
- Computer skills required include Microsoft programs, including Microsoft Teams.
- A working knowledge leveraging and preparing information for social media for advocacy work is a bonus.
- Work in a seated position up to 8 hours a day, 5 days a week
- May be required to work some weekends and evenings
- See, hear, and speak with sufficient capability to perform assigned tasks
- Lift/lower, push/pull and carry objects/parcels no greater than 50 pounds; when lifting/lowering, pushing/pulling and carrying objects/parcels greater than 50 pounds use 2 people or mechanical means
- Travel to partner sites such as, but not limited to, Harrisburg PA, Trenton NJ, Washington DC as well as Philabundance sites
- Perform office tasks such as simple hand grip, fine manipulation, and reach associated with assigned tasks such as keying
- Daily use of computer, phone system, and copier
- Demonstrate cognitive ability to:
- Follow directions and routines
- Concentrate, memorize, and recall
- Identify logical connections and determine sequence of response
- Proactive approach to planning and delivering results
- Evaluate problems and escalate / inform Management as necessary
Job posted: 2020-12-16