Government and Community Affairs Manager
The LGBT Network is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that is a home and voice for LGBT people, their families, and support systems of Long Island and Queens. The LGBT Network’s community centers throughout the region help LGBT people to be themselves, stay healthy, and change the world. Since 1993, the LGBT Network has been pioneering advocacy and social change to promote safe spaces where LGBT people live, learn, work, play, and pray.
The LGBT Network is seeking a Government and Community Affairs Manager (GCAM) that will cultivate an ambitious portfolio of external and community relationships. Working closely with the President/CEO, the GCAM is responsible for the development and execution of the LGBT Network’s local, city, state and federal advocacy strategy. This position reports to the President & Chief Executive Officer.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The Government and Community Affairs Manager is responsible to:
- Strengthen organizational relationships with public officials at the local, city, county, state, and federal level to secure funding, educate about issues impacting LGBTQ people and families and generate exposure for the LGBT Network
- Identify funding opportunities from public officials and government agencies and work closely with other staff to submit highly competitive proposals
- Extend invitations to local public officials and community leaders for LGBT Network public and private events and keep elected officials apprised of programs and projects in their districts
- Serve as the main point of contact with LGBT Network’s government and public affairs firm, working with them to develop funding strategies, outreach plans, and schedule meetings
- Initiate opportunities for the President/CEO, Board of Directors, and senior staff to interact with public officials, and create compelling presentation materials for meetings
- Maintain a rigorous schedule of contacts with government representatives
- Author external communications materials to drive awareness of LGBT Network’s work and forge new partnerships
- Prepare, write and edit talking points, letters to the editor, op-eds, presentations, fact sheets, press kit materials, newsletters and other supporting material, as needed
- Represent LGBT Network on coalitions and committees
- Identify external research partners to evaluate projects and communicate findings
- Organize community meetings and maintain a system for updating stakeholders on progress
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination
- Minimum of two-plus years of professional experience in community and government relations, project management ideally related to LGBT and/or public health and civil rights issues
- Bachelor’s degree as a minimum; Master’s degree in public affairs or similar field preferred
- Excellent written skills with ability to distill complex messages into clear and cogent communications
- Commitment to creative problem solving and collaboration
- Confidence managing and overseeing a diverse portfolio of projects that expand the strategic reach of the organization
- Working proficiency of Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and WordPress preferred
- Flexible work schedule a must, as this position requires working nights and weekends
- Reliable transportation and a valid driver license as this position will require frequent travel throughout Nassau and Suffolk Counties and the borough of Queens.
- Sensitivity, understanding and the ability to effectively interact with individuals, both internal and external, from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent interpersonal and phone skills and ability to work with a wide range of people
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational skills for handling multiple tasks at once
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with a wide range of people and flexibility
- Must have strong attention to detail
Salary commensurate with experience
Please read job duties and qualifications before applying. at https://lgbtnetwork.org/about/#careers. With each application, a resume and cover letter is required. Within the cover letter, please indicate any involvement in the LGBT community, whether it is as a professional, volunteer and/or activist. Applications that do not follow these guidelines will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
The LGBT Network is an association of nonprofit organizations that serve the LGBT communities of Long Island and Queens including Long Island Gay and Lesbian Youth (LIGALY), The Long Island LGBT Community Center (The Center), Services and Advocacy for LGBT Elders – Long Island (SAGE-LI), and the Queens LGBT Community Center (Q-Center). All of the Network’s organizations are proud to be Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers. People of color, women, trans and gender non-conforming people, and individuals of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Job posted: 2021-10-11