Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government and Community Affairs Manager
At GFiber, we believe in the power of great internet that lets people do more, helps communities get stronger and makes amazing things possible. We’re not just growing to build better internet experiences, we’re also building a welcoming place where people who want to make a difference can grow their careers.
GFiber is an Alphabet company that brings Google Fiber and Google Fiber Webpass internet services to homes and businesses across the United States. Our growing, inclusive team is expanding as we connect more cities and people.
GFiber’s mission is to help all communities — big, small, urban, rural, and everywhere in between — get access to the internet that’s fast, reliable, fairly-priced, and open. On our team, you’ll work in a fast-paced environment that’s disrupting the status quo in the broadband industry.
The role of the Government & Community Affairs Manager (GCAM) is a cross-functional one with local, regional, and some national responsibilities. It is highly collaborative and requires flexibility and innovative thinking, with the opportunity to find new ways to inspire community action, partner with government officials, drive business growth and expansion, and advance social good for local residents. The Government & Community Affairs Manager will represent GFiber in a wide range of settings — from meetings with government staff and homeowner association members to nonprofit organization leaders and affordable housing providers.
In each metropolitan area that the Government & Community Affairs Manager serves, which in this case currently will include Mesa, Arizona and additional expansion markets in Arizona and possibly other states in the West. The person hired for this role will:
- Manage relationships with government officials, leaders, and community organizations to assist the GFiber deployment and expansion process. Communicate on behalf of Google Fiber to community leaders, residents, and media; ensure that community needs are communicated to cross-functional GFiber teams.
- Handle PR and/or community-impacting escalation of issues (e.g. construction-related disruptions).
- Drive and support partnerships that deliver business growth, as well as digital inclusion, including investments and sponsorships that provide training and Internet access for communities impacted by the digital divide.
- Take a lead on “central” team on some Community Impact programming, working cross functionally within Google Fiber to help develop and execute on our digital equity strategy.
The Government & Community Affairs Manager will also be a part of a national Policy and Community Impact team with responsibilities including state, local and national government relations and policy issues, and our company’s overall community impact efforts including our digital equity product development, digital equity efforts, and collaboration with digital inclusion organizations both nationally and locally.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- 5 years of experience working in local community, government and/or government relations engagement, leadership positions, and experience driving high-profile strategic initiatives
- Ability to travel around the region, and to eventual expansion markets, for an average of 15-20% of time, or as needed.
- Experience working in Arizona communities.
- Direct experience working either in government or government relations.
- Experience in technology, and social change for underserved communities.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a proven ability to take initiative to solve problems and seize opportunities. Adept at influencing through strong relationships, expertise and data.
- Flexibility to adapt and take on small and large projects.
- Ability to prioritize and excel in a highly ambiguous environment with competing demands.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to work with metrics, numbers and trends to identify root causes of issues. Ability to use data visualization tools, including geographic data.
Job posted: 2022-08-25