Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government and Community Relations Manager
It’s a great time to join Marymount University! We are looking for faculty and staff who are passionate about providing excellent service to ensure a high quality student experience and collaborative working environment.
Reporting to the Vice President for Advancement, the Government and Community Relations Manager is responsible for creating and implementing a focused external relations program to monitor and influence public developments and events involving issues that have a direct bearing on the University’s goals, interests and wellbeing.
Under the direction of the University President and Vice President for Advancement, identify, coordinate, and execute opportunities to advance University government and community engagement objectives and activities. Specifically, research, conceive a plan and calendar of events and actions, and implement efforts to secure successful advancement of the University’s 26th St. Environmental Initiative and Multi-Purpose Athletic Field and its Quincy Park Field Redevelopment initiative.
Create, maintain and execute an annual calendar of communication initiatives (e.g., meetings, presentations, events, correspondence, program updates and impact reports, publications, etc.) for relevant local, state, and federal elected and appointed officials and key members of their staffs as well as community stakeholders to inform and consistently reinforce a favorable perception of the University’s considerable and positive impact on the community, state and nation.
Create and maintain an annual calendar of community events and make recommendations on University leadership and/or other staff-attendance, if any, to the Vice President for Advancement.
Monitor the development and progress of new local, state and federal legislation, policies and regulations that may have bearing on the University’s interests, especially those within the purviews of the Arlington Board of Supervisors and Virginia General Assembly.
Respond to any and all inquiries and/or requests from local, state and federal individuals and entities and report on such activities to the Vice President for Advancement as appropriate or directed.
In direct collaboration with the Office of University Marketing and Communications, monitor state and local journalistic and/or social media for coverage and content involving issues that may have a direct bearing on the University’s interests and report on such matters as appropriate or as assigned.
Identify and report newly planned or unexpected public meetings and events that may impact the interests of the University.
Successfully design and execute special projects and initiatives and perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Experience: Minimum of 2 years of experience working directly for an elected or appointed government official; a local, state or federal agency or office, or an organization actively engaged in public policy and community relations.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
- Familiarity with local, state or federal legislative and executive government and a fundamental understanding of community relations principles and practices; knowledge of the county legislative process.
- Excellent communication, presentation, written, and interpersonal skills. Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors, and government and community leaders and their staffs effectively and persuasively to advance the interests of the University.
- High degree of professionalism, sensitivity to political dynamics, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to establish effective, collaborative relationships internal and external to the organization and provide strategic direction with exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to balance and prioritize diverse tasks and meet deadlines. Must demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy, time management skills, and follow-through. Ability to work independently to organize multiple projects simultaneously is required.
- Creativity and initiative are essential; excellent problem-solving skills, must demonstrate excellent analytical skills, sound judgment and good decision-making. Proactive approach to potential problems, excellent problem-solving skills required.
- Knowledgeable of key economic and demographic developments in Arlington and Northern Virginia. Passionate about the local community and engaging with diverse partners and stakeholders.
Marymount provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-08-27