Government & External Relations Representative III
Job Summary and Description:
This position supports the Director of External Relations and Communications and entire Government & External Relations team in Washington DC with emphasis on building and maintaining strong, external alliances within strategic federal, state, and/or international government institutions, and the DC-based NGO and academic communities. The position requires highly proficient technical background, as well as verbal / written communications skills, in order to represent EPRI effectively in external arenas. The position requires extensive knowledge of federal and/or state governmental legislative and regulatory processes, knowledge of the domestic and/or international electric utility industry, and broad technical background in EPRI’s R&D programs. The position reports to the Director, External Relations and Communications to ensure a cohesive federal/state/international legislative/regulatory outreach strategy, optimized communications, and close coordination with the Government & External Relations team.
- Build, enhance, and maintain relations with key federal executive branch staff, particularly at DOE and EPA or FERC, key environmental NGO stakeholders, and the environment or electricity resource-focused staff within the national and/or international energy-related trade associations.
- Maintain continuous educational efforts regarding EPRI’s R&D portfolio, industry-related developments, federal / state policy / regulatory activities, and overall energy sector matters.
- Identify opportunities for joint public/private collaboration and/or projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Promote EPRI’s reputation as an independent source of credible and objective counsel on scientific and technical energy-related matters.
- Identify strategic speaking engagements for EPRI technical staff and ensure appropriate collateral is provided in external conferences and meetings.
- Convene several Washington seminar series or low carbon resource forums each year, leading those discussions as well as the coordination of agendas with internal / external speakers.
- Integrate federal/state policy/regulatory developments into G&ER team strategy, as well as maintaining awareness institute-wide.
- Education and Experience:
- More than 10 years of experience either within federal/state government or the government relations field.
- Knowledge about energy and environmental issues, particularly with direct experience in the electric power industry.
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent work experience; advanced degree preferred.
Skills and Attributes:
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Selected travel required to external meetings, occasionally international, and a few annual internal meetings for professional development purposes.
- Highly-motivated “self-starter”, who works well across teams.
Additional Job Information:
EPRI participates in E-Verify, an online system operated jointly by the Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration (SSA). EPRI uses the system to check the work status of new hires by comparing information from the employee’s I-9 form against SSA and Department of Homeland Security databases.Note: To ensure compliance with U.S. export controls, please indicate your U.S. citizenship or (for foreign citizens) your U.S. visa/immigration status in your resume or cover letter.EPRI is an equal opportunity employer. EEO/AA/M/F/VETS/DisabledTogether . . . Shaping the Future of Electricity.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-22