Government and Public Policy Communications Manager
Job Description & Qualifications
At Ford Motor Company, we believe freedom of movement drives human progress. We also believe in providing you with the freedom to define and realize your dreams. With our incredible plans for the future of mobility, we have a wide variety of opportunities for you to accelerate your career potential as you help us define tomorrow’s transportation.
The Government and Public Policy Communications Manager develops and leads communications initiatives that influence the thinking and behavior of key audiences – to advance understanding and influence of, confidence in, and different forms of commitment to Ford’s government affairs and policy positions and reputation.
The Government and Public Policy Communications Manager must plan and act strategically, optimistically and ambitiously while working closely with colleagues in Government Relations and across Communications. You will help effect U.S. federal, state and local (and selected international) government, policy and issues communications, including through:
- Analysis of situations and implications
- Purposefully creative storytelling
- Government and media relations
- Stakeholder communications support
- Crisis communications
What you’ll be able to do:
- Develop and carry out the communications strategic plan advocating Ford’s business and public-policy objectives and being part of government solutions
- Thoughtfully promote Ford’s business plan and commitments/expectations to government officials, professional organizations, employees, customers and other stakeholders, on topics including:
- Global trade
- Emissions/fuel efficiency
- Autonomous vehicles/new technologies
- Data access/privacy/cybersecurity
- Sales and marketing
- Engage with and persuade communicators in government (the White House, Capitol Hill, government agencies) and professional associations, e.g.:
- Alliance for Automotive Innovation
- American Automotive Policy Council
- Self-Driving Coalition
- Partnership for Transportation Innovation & Opportunity
- National Association of Manufacturers
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Business Roundtable
- Initiate and develop strategic media relationships and persistently placing stories that sustain/advance Ford’s standing as “America’s automaker” and a leader in environmental policy
- Serve as a crisp, on-point spokesperson for the company with the major media outlets
- Participate in and bringing a vital government perspective to crisis-communications planning, practice and execution
- Guide and mentor agency support staff
- Help improve measurement of strategic communications effectiveness and overall perceptions of the company
- Political and Business Acumen
- Drive for Results
- Intellectual Curiosity
- Learning on the Fly
- Dealing With Ambiguity
- Organizational Agility
- Executive Presence
Minimum requirements we seek:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, political science or public affairs
- Seven or more years of successful experience in political communications.,
- At least five years of experience in Advocacy/strategic media relations for a corporation or senior elected official, government agency, public relations agency, trade association or corporation
- Familiarity with such organizations from reporting on them on behalf of a top-tier media outlet.
Our preferred qualifications:
- Experience representing a complex, publicly held, global company
- Exceptional written and verbal communications and project-management skills
- Advanced knowledge of reputation management, issue-based communications and crisis management
- Deep understanding of federal rulemaking and congressional processes
- High skill influencing through social media
- Productive record working with, influencing and learning from people with diverse backgrounds, in different disciplines and at multiple organizational levels
- Confidence, composure, self-awareness
What you’ll receive in return:
As part of the Ford family, you’ll enjoy excellent compensation and a comprehensive benefits package that includes generous PTO, retirement, savings and stock investment plans, incentive compensation and much more. You’ll also experience exciting opportunities for professional and personal growth and recognition.
If you have what it takes to help us redefine the future of mobility, we’d love to have you join us.
Candidates for positions with Ford Motor Company must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
By choice, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-18