Government Relations Advisor
Join the Clean Energy Revolution
Become a Government Relations Advisor at Southern California Edison (SCE) and build a better tomorrow. In this job, you’ll lead SCE external activities/engagements in a specified geographic area, will be part of project teams, and will participate in the development and delivery of public affairs strategies and tactics for major issues, programs and projects. You will develop and provide assessments, intelligence, and recommendations to the team and will validate or supplement intelligence garnered from social media research. You will be working out of our Santa Barbara office for closer proximity to customer/stakeholder impacts and available for deployment in the field.
As a Government Relations Advisor, your work will help power our planet, reduce carbon emissions and create cleaner air for everyone. Are you ready to take on the challenge to help us build the future?
A day in the life – Get ready to think big, work smart and shine bright!
- Manage relationships with elected officials, local government staff and community stakeholders, as needed; network with key external stakeholders and influencers within a geographic region in support of assigned projects and business priorities.
- Lead response and resolution of highly escalated community issues related to programs/projects.
- Develop understanding of political/community landscape of impacted project area(s); assists project team briefings, public meetings, presentations, door-to door outreach, etc., gather community intelligence to validate or supplement intelligence from social media monitoring and research; is conversant in social media tools (e.g. Twitter), as this position may be responsible for some level of social media presence (in coordination with Corporate Communications) and community engagement as a company representative; identify community risks and opportunities and proactively incorporates these into outreach strategy.
- Provide subject matter counsel and guidance to internal team members and external stakeholders relative to managing company issues in communities; coordinate with internal company leaders and other OU project leaders within the scope of specific issues being managed; conduct training to internal partners on dealing with the public.
- Work with the project manager and team on development (and continuous evaluation of effectiveness) of project plans, including scope, schedule, and budget; measures impact of work in either the communities served, or the projects supported.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Must have seven (7) years of experience working in public affairs, government relations, or community relations.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Political Science, Business, or related field.
- Five or more years of experience developing outreach strategies aimed at governmental and community-based entities and/or based on a particular subject matter area.
- Media experience preferred.
- Master’s Degree in Political Science, Business, or related field.
- Experience working in a cross-functional environment managing multiple stakeholders.
- Problem solver; self-starter; high degree of creativity to find new ways to reach and communicate to customers and stakeholders.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Critical thinker with the ability to thrive in a fast paced, collaborative environment.
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills with high level of initiative and ability to effectively interface, collaborate, and partner with stakeholders, senior management, clients and team members to help drive solutions and ensure stakeholder buy-in.
- Familiar with social media tools for monitoring and engaging with stakeholders.
- Ability to analyze, summarize and recommend ideas and concepts to senior management in a clear, concise, and persuasive manner.
- Ability to manage and support multiple projects concurrently.
- Ability to follow Edison safety protocols and safe work practices.
- Must demonstrate the ability to integrate work across relevant areas, develop the business and services to enhance customer satisfaction and productivity, manage risks appropriately, manage information, and provide exceptional service to internal and external customers.
- Must demonstrate effective decision making, results delivery, team building, and the ability to stay current with relevant technology and innovation.
- Must demonstrate strong ethics, interpersonal skills, and the ability to effectively manage stress and engage in continuous learning.
- Experience working in the energy industry.
- Strong strategic, analytical, and planning skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
You should know …
- Visit our Candidate Resource page to get meaningful information related to benefits, perks, resources, testing information, and hiring process, and more!
The people at SCE don’t just keep the lights on. Our mission is so much bigger. We’re fueling the kind of innovation that’s changing an entire industry, and quite possibly the planet. Join us and create a future with cleaner energy, while providing our customers with the safety and reliability they demand. At SCE, you’ll have a chance to grow personally and professionally, making a real impact in Southern California and around the world.
At SCE, we celebrate our differences. We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
We are committed to ensuring that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-07