Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Government Relations Advocate
AWC recruiting a full time Government Relations Advocate to join our dynamic and fast-paced team. The primary purpose of this position is to advance city government interests with state and local government elected and appointed officials, and to influence the development of laws, policies, budgets, and regulations for state and local programs which affect cities, with a focus on public safety and criminal justice, open government, social and human services, and assorted government issues related to cities and towns.
AWC is a vibrant organization supported by 70 employees who are passionate about serving our members through advocacy, education, and services. We have a diverse staff with subject matter expertise in various areas.
The salary range for this position is $103,847 – $131,107. We provide an exceptional benefits package, tuition reimbursement, sabbatical program, vacation and sick leave, paid holidays, and a workplace where you know you are providing valuable services and making a difference. This position is eligible to telework in the state of Washington depending on the needs of the team and AWC. During the legislative session, this position works full-time in the AWC office in Olympia.
What you’ll be doing
- Develop and/or advance and state legislation that promotes or defends the organization’s members’ interests; work to defeat or improve legislation that is detrimental to city government
- Advocacy work to advance or defeat/amend legislation will include testimony before state legislative committees and rulemaking bodies
- Work with city officials and various policy committees and others to craft the organizations and state policy objectives
- Communicate with elected and appointed city officials regarding and state legislative and agency actions or rule making that affects them. Promote action by city officials as appropriate
- Serve as the “city representative” on various task forces and committees representing member cities
- Provide critical analysis of proposed policies that might affect cities, including tax and revenue proposals, and quickly communicate this information to legislative, agency staff and others
What you bring to the team
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, public administration, finance or a related field required. Master’s degree preferred
- Five years’ experience as a municipal official, intergovernmental relations or lobbying experience, or as a staff member with a state legislature, or other legislative experience
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and the ability to articulate complex information in a form which is comprehensible to a diverse audience
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with legislators, legislative staff, executive branch agencies and numerous other stakeholders to advance the causes of cities
- Skilled at negotiating positions and strategizing on how to advance those positions
- Have superior understanding of cities and city operations/responsibilities
- In depth knowledge of the legislative process, including bill writing, budget writing, and legislative procedures
How to apply
Only candidates who reflect the minimum qualifications listed on the job description will be considered. If chosen as the top candidate, proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is required.
Failure to follow the application instructions below may lead to disqualification. Complete the application and attach:
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications for this position
- Current resume
All new AWC employees must demonstrate they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to employment, unless granted a reasonable accommodation due to disability or sincerely-held religious belief.
This recruitment will remain open until an adequate pool of candidates is received. Application review will be ongoing, and therefore we encourage you to submit your application materials as soon as possible.
To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, please email email@example.com.
We subscribe to the principles of an equal opportunity employer and shall recruit, interview, hire, classify, train, promote, demote, discipline, transfer, terminate, and set rates of pay or other compensation on the basis of merit and qualification without regard to race, religion, creed, sexual orientation, color, national origin, physical disability, sex, age, gender identity, or genetics.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-16