Government Relations Analyst
Description: Freeport-McMoRan is a leading international mining company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold, and molybdenum. The company has a dynamic portfolio of operating, expansion and growth projects in the copper industry. Freeport-McMoRan is one of the world’s largest publicly traded copper producers, the world’s largest producer of molybdenum and a significant gold producer. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially-responsible manner.
We have the assets, the talent, the drive and the financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers of our employees. We encourage you to take the time to explore the opportunity to advance your career at Freeport-McMoRan.
Please note: This position has the possibility to work remotely up to 100% of the time. The position will require occasional travel to the Phoenix corporate offices and/or site locations. This position may be performed anywhere in the U.S. except California, New Hampshire, Michigan, Illinois and New York. Additional states may be excluded from remote work based on business factors. Should the position shift to in-office work in the future, the company will offer relocation benefits at that time should the position meet the established eligibility for these benefits.
Serve as liaison for the Company with elected officials, government regulators and public policy makers in the following areas. Government Relations, International Relations, FM Foundation/National and International Partnerships.
- Support Government Relations by attending meetings of local governments in the areas where we operate. Additionally, support the Arizona Mining Association (AMA) in its advocacy for the mining industry in Arizona.
- Assist with the Phoenix Committee on Foreign Relations (PCFR). Assist with organizing foreign dignitary visits, meetings, and receptions at our corporate offices (many times in coordination with PCFR).
- Work with VP Global Strategic Relations to develop an integrated strategy working across the broader businesses to support stakeholder engagement, reputation, and non-technical risk management. Support political risk analysis and international stakeholder mapping in support of FCX operations globally.
- Coordinate relationship with the State of Arizona’s Arizona-Mexico Commission (AMC). Coordinate internally to ensure that FM employees are appointed to the AMC Board and the pertinent committees and manage the sponsorship/financial aspects of AMC membership.
- Coordinate with the City of Phoenix on its international initiatives, such as the Sister Cities program and trade promotion efforts. The City of Phoenix has sister cities in ten (10) countries.
- Research potential FM Foundation program partners to address key focus areas/issues and leadership positions for the company. Issue areas may include access to capital, women’s economic empowerment, capacity building, climate change/adaptation, access to education/skills, governance and leadership, cultural heritage, etc.
- Manage a portfolio of FM Foundation projects; coordinate with internal staff, NGO and government partners, manage deliverables and agreements, determine visibility/promotion.
- Draft scope of work and RFPs for research initiatives, public polling/surveys, social investments, and other support projects that inform decision making related to social performance initiatives.
- Research and draft case studies, presentation content, social media posts, internal communications and other related to various social performance initiatives.
- Coordinate with FM employees to support our Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) initiatives through collection of requested data from our international operations.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Master’s degree in Community/ Sustainable Development, Business Administration/ Economics, International Relations, or other social or environmental sciences and seven (7) years direct experience in one or more of the fields listed above, OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Community or Public Relations, Social Work, Sociology / Social Science, Environmental Science, Sustainable (or Economic) Development, Marketing, Business or related field and nine (9) years direct experience in one or more of the fields listed above, OR
- Associate’s degree in Community or Public Relations, Social Work, Sociology / Social Science, Environmental Science, Sustainable (or Economic) Development, Marketing, Business or related field and eleven (11) years direct experience in one or more of the fields listed above OR
- High School Diploma or GED and thirteen (13) years direct experience in one or more of the fields listed above
- Ability to build positive relationships with operational management across sites as well as SD/Administrative functions
- Willingness to share knowledge with others within team and more broadly
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to drive change and program/process improvement
- Ability to be persuasive and influence others when needed
- Ability to strategically align site needs/processes with corporate needs/processes
- Demonstrated ability to identify root causes and provides effective and/or innovative solutions
- Proven problem-solving abilities
- Expert understanding of key strategies used in CSR practice; able to clearly articulate and educate others internally/externally
- Ability to confidently represent the company at enterprise level stakeholder meetings or forums
- Expert communicator – interpersonal, written and presentations – to facilitate highest level of awareness, engagement and success
- Highly adept at evaluating outcomes and impacts of programs on communities and operation/company
- Proven ability to assess risk and develop appropriate interventions or mitigation efforts or practices
- Able to develop strategy and execution plans
- Highly flexible and adaptable to change
- High level of ethics and integrity
- Skilled at assessing and developing a long-term perspective
- Expert at developing and maintaining relationships and diffusing difficult situations
- Understands the enterprise level impact of local decisions or activities and vice versa
- Adept at giving and receiving feedback
- Promotes best practices and appropriately questions processes that could be improved
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Position is in busy, non-smoking office located in Phoenix, AZ
- Location requires mobility in an office environment; each floor is accessible by elevator
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable State Laws
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability
Job posted: 2021-11-15