Government Relations Associate
Government Relations Associate (Sylvamo)
Date: Jul 13, 2021
This position is located in Washington, DC and is part of a team critical to the company’s efforts to favorably impact policy issues of importance and to enhance our public image.
The Government Relations Associate will work closely with the Vice President Global Government Relations and Director Government Relations to help support Sylvamo’s government relationship management, political affairs, and public policy advocacy with federal and state governmental agencies and other stakeholders. Candidate must have experience in an administrative position and must be discreet, poised and able to interact skillfully with members of Congress, company senior management, association representatives and external customers. This position will provide both substantive and administrative support.
- Attend hearings and meetings on occasion to represent the company and debrief team
- Prepare and draft correspondence, fact sheets, memoranda, reports, PowerPoints etc.
- Track federal and state legislation and conduct legislative research for government relations team
- Compile Hill meeting reports, and update issue materials for meetings with members of Congress, the Administration, states and various embassies
- Develop and manage political action materials
- Coordinate interaction with international government relations team
- Prepare the Government Relations budget in close coordination with the Vice President Global Relations
- Prepare and submit lobbying disclosure information
- Help manage computers, government relations database, and other assets
- Process invoices
- Responsible for vendor contracts
- Routinely schedule and maintain calendar of appointments, meetings and travel itineraries, and coordinate related arrangements.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree plus 2-5 years of related work experience either in government relations or Capitol Hill
- Prior experience in a government relations office a plus
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and work under intense deadline pressure with positive attitude
- Ability to work in a team environment, coordinating input from multiple parties
- Ability to work alone with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated technical savvy, strong computer skills and a knowledge of database programs
- Excellent PC skills including Outlook, Microsoft Office tools, Excel, Word, Power Point, WebEx, Teams, Zoom; Internet savvy.
- Must be team player, willing to assist at “crunch” times (before meetings or other important deadlines)
- Must be an extremely organized, reliable individual.
- Successful candidate will possess common sense and the willingness to ask pertinent questions
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact effectively and courteously with all levels of employees, consultants, customers, Congressional staff, members of Congress, federal and government officials and staff, and members of the business community
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Action oriented
- Business acumen
- Customer focus
- Interpersonal savvy
- Results Driven
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Applicants should apply using the link: https://jobs.
Job posted: 2021-07-13