Government Relations Associate
Cancer strikes more than 10 million people worldwide each year. The ASCO Association d/b/a Association for Clinical Oncology (the “Association”) is a 501(c)(6) professional membership association representing a diverse network of nearly 45,000 oncology professionals. The Association, along with its affiliates the American Society of Clinical Oncology (the “Society”), Conquer Cancer Foundation of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, CancerLinQ LLC, and QOPI Certification Program, LLC, (collectively, “ASCO”) are committed to conquering cancer through research, education, and promotion of the highest quality patient care.
Who we are:
ASCO is a stable, forward-thinking, growing family of organizations that operate in a results-focused work environment in which employees’ evaluation emphasizes performance outcomes. This is an Alexandria, Virginia-based position that offers an excellent benefits package, subsidized parking or Metro benefits, and opportunities to participate in professional development programs. To learn more about the Association, please visit www.asco.org/jobs.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for a high-performing Government Relations Associate to join the Advocacy division of the Policy and Advocacy Department. The Associate will be responsible for providing general administrative support to the Division and assist with other projects, as needed.
If you have great organizational and customer service skills, we want to hear from you!
What you will do:
- Provide general administrative support to the Advocacy Division on activities related to grassroots, Capitol Hill, the ASCO Association PAC, federal regulatory agencies, state advocacy, and the Government Relations Committee
- Accurately complete division tasks such as planning, tracking, and processing of invoices, contracts, and subscriptions and coordinating the submission of the division budget
- Assist in planning and executing the annual ASCO Advocacy Summit, including serving as the key point of contact for logistical needs of approximately 160 ASCO members attending
- Help coordinate and staff Capitol Hill lobby days, congressional briefings, and receptions
- Coordinate with the Grassroots Specialist to schedule appointments on Capitol Hill and in the district with members of Congress and/or their staff
- Provide support to the Alliance for Childhood Cancer by helping with Alliance events and twice-yearly coalition meetings
- Format and submit hearing testimony and letters to Congressional Committees, state legislatures and regulatory bodies, and comments to federal regulatory agencies, and ensure all letters and comments are saved to our files
- Assist with use of grassroots and bill tracking software, including logging meetings held by lobbyists and volunteers, tagging lobby assignments to offices, and helping to post and send state and federal grassroots alerts as needed
- Coordinate updates to ASCO’s advocacy website
- Track government relations activities and accomplishments for leadership reporting purposes
What you need in order to be successful:
- Bachelor’s degree, ideally in political science or a related field
- Minimum one year of administrative experience working in an office environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Basic knowledge of US government, Congress, and politics
- Self-managed with the ability to multi-task and manage own time, priorities, and resources
- Prior internship experience working in a health care organization, member of Congress, or federal agency a plus
ASCO is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
Who we are:
Founded in 1964, the American Society of Clinical Oncology, Inc. (ASCO®) is committed to making a world of difference in cancer care. As the world’s leading organization of its kind, ASCO represents nearly 45,000 oncology professionals who care for people living with cancer. Through research, education, and promotion of the highest-quality patient care, ASCO works to conquer cancer and create a world where cancer is prevented or cured, and every survivor is healthy.
ASCO furthers its mission through Cancer.Net and Conquer Cancer, the ASCO Foundation. Cancer.Net (www.cancer.net) brings the expertise and resources of ASCO to people living with cancer and those who care for and about them. All the information and content on Cancer.Net is developed and approved by members of ASCO, making Cancer.Net an up-to-date and trusted resource for cancer information. Conquer Cancer (www.conquer.org) funds research into every facet of cancer to benefit every patient, everywhere. Conquer Cancer helps turn science into a sigh of relief for patients around the world by supporting groundbreaking research and education across cancer’s full continuum.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-07